cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ben_C
Visitor
Visitor

FPGA for NTSC recording

I am trying to make a NTSC/PAL video recorder. Converting the analog signal to BT.656 format is easy without an FPGA, but I want to deinterlace that input and record at 1080p 60fps with h.264. I need the smallest FPGA that can achieve this task, any help is appreciated.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Nikhil_Thapa
Explorer
Explorer

Hi @Ben_C ,

You can check Video Processing Subsystem (VPSS) IP for deinterlacing, frame rate conversion, video resolution scale up and down. You can visit its documentation from this link

https://www.xilinx.com/products/intellectual-property/video-processing-subsystem.html 

However, H.264 is separate thing. VPSS IP does not come up with H.264 encoding/decoding features. For this, I highly recommend to visit VCU designs. You can check this 

https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18841711/Zynq+UltraScale+MPSoC+VCU+TRD  link for more information. You have to take note that Xilinx VCU TRD design is only supported to high end board, like UltraScale MPSoC board.

I need the smallest FPGA that can achieve this task

There are several variations of development board you can use based on your requirements. However, if you do not want to use any development boards, you can go with SoM ( System on Module) Boards.

Thanks and Regards,

nikhil@logictronix.com
:::::Do not forget to Accept as solution, give Kudo and Share a post that you think is helpful:::::
0 Kudos
joancab
Teacher
Teacher

record video... where to? SD card? USB stick? SSD drive? How much? one frame? one hour? one year?

0 Kudos
Ben_C
Visitor
Visitor

I should have been more specific, I'm sorry. I want to create a 36x36mm pcb, so thats why I wanted the smallest size package. I will be recording to micro SD card. The bitrate doesn't have to be that high, anything above 10mbits should be fine. I'd like to use a spartan 7 for it because of the low cost, and I found this IP: H264-E-BPS | Low-Power AVC/H.264 Baseline Profile Encoder IP Core (cast-inc.com)

Would this be a good option?

0 Kudos
joancab
Teacher
Teacher

You can create and simulate designs without the actual physical chip and see if it fits and how it performs.

Hard to say from scratch 'this is the best chip to use'. At first glance, it doesn't look crazy to use a spartan-7.

0 Kudos
u4223374
Advisor
Advisor

If you are concerned about cost, I expect that buying an IP core is not the way to start. Not sure what that will cost, but I'd guess a few thousand.

Also, why upscale to 1080P before recording? Surely it'd make more sense to put your bandwidth towards making a really nice native-resolution recording...

Finally, I suspect that you'll find that a smaller solution is an ARM SoC, preferably with PoP packaging so you can stack the RAM and flash on top.

0 Kudos