Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tim_severance
Scholar
Scholar

HDCP over DisplayPort compatible monitor

Jump to solution

Hi, Can anybody confirm a specific monitor that is compatible with DisplayPort HDCP 1.3 and 2.2?   I am having a hard time finding specifications on monitor product pages that specify these HDCP compatibilities.   I would like to use one of these monitors to verify a DisplayPort TX design that requires HDCP 2.2 and 1.3.

Thanks.

Tim

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tim_severance
Scholar
Scholar

Thanks @florentw for the information.   I did order a BenQ EL2870U monitor after talking to one of their customer service reps and they assured me that since it had DP 1.4 it would also support HDCP 2.2.    And I have confirmed with DPCD register reads that this is the case.   I have yet to get the TX only example design working with HDCP but it is a work in progress.  
Thanks. 
Tim

View solution in original post

13 Replies
kshimizu
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @tim_severance ,

Xilinx has tested equipment as an attached file in the PG299.  As far as I checked, it looks like LG 27UD68P has HSCP2.2.  Please check sink equipment in case.

Best regards,

Kshimizu

Product Application Engineer Xilinx Technical Support

-------------------------------------------------------

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.  Please Give Kudos.

DP_HDCP.PNG
tim_severance
Scholar
Scholar

@kshimizu ,

Thanks for the reply.   I am aware of the monitors documented in PG299, but for instance when I look up the Samsung lu28d590ds the Samsung product page (LINK HERE) mentions that the DisplayPort is version 1.2, not 1.4.   And PG299 document is specifically for DP 1.4.   DP 1.2 does not support HDCP 2.2 according to this page (LINK)

So I will ask again if anybody can confirm a monitor model number that supports both DP 1.4 as well as HDCP 2.2.

Thanks.

Tim

0 Kudos
tim_severance
Scholar
Scholar

I am also wondering if it might work to use a DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.0b adapter like the Club3D adapter HERE.   This might allow me to connect to a monitor through the monitor's HDMI port and do testing of HDCP 1.3/2.2 through the adapter.   Any thoughts on using this?

Thanks.
Tim

0 Kudos
watari
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @tim_severance 

I'm not sure. But it sounds like a plan, if this gadget got HDMI authorization as repeater device.

So, I suggest you to make sure whether this gadget gets HDMI authorization as repeater device or not.

Best regards,

tim_severance
Scholar
Scholar

FYI, I ordered a BenQ EL2870U monitor since it has a DP 1.4 port and a customer service agent on the phone told me that if is has DP 1.4 then it has HDCP over DP.

Once I confirm this when I have the monitor I will respond to this forum post confirming and will set that as the accepted answer.

Thanks.

Tim

0 Kudos
tim_severance
Scholar
Scholar

FYI, I got a DP1.4 to HDMI 2.0b adapter and I am running the DP TX example design on the ZCU-102 and I notice the software never detects a connected cable.   It is as if the HPD never gets toggled by the sink.

I know the DP to HDMI adapter works though since it worked when connected to my computer.

Is there something in the driver that needs to be updated in order for a DP to HDMI adapter to work?

Tim

0 Kudos
kshimizu
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @tim_severance ,

I suppose that No adapters are supported in DP 1.4 TX SS, hence it is expected that it does not work well.

Best regards,

Kshimizu

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.  Please Give Kudos.

tim_severance
Scholar
Scholar

@kshimizu ,

Is this officially stated in documentation?   If not, is it something that could be supported eventually?

Thanks. 
Tim

0 Kudos
kshimizu
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @tim_severance ,

PG299(DP v1.4 TX SS) does not mention ay adaptors at this time, hence Xilinx does not recommend using them.  If Xilinx evaluates some adaptors with DP v1.4 TX SS from now, then works well, PG299 will be updated in the future release.

At least, I don’t have any information about adaptors.

Best regards,

Kshimizu

watari
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @tim_severance 

I just ask you.

Does your computer output video signal as DP on DP port ? or does your computer output video signal as DP++ on DP port ?

It can't convert video signal from DP to HDMI, if protocol is DP++.

Best regards,

tim_severance
Scholar
Scholar

@watari ,

Honestly I am not sure.   The PC uses a Ryzen 5 2400G processor.   I am not sure exactly what brand of DisplayPort it supports.   
   It would be nice if the Xilinx drivers would support an adapter since DP 1.4 monitors are not very common yet.  
Thanks.  
Tim

0 Kudos
florentw

HI @tim_severance 

Few clarifications on this topic (in case you need):

• There are DP1.2 monitor mentioned in the test equipments for DP1.4 as DP1.4 sources need to be backward compatible with DP1.2 Sinks
  • The UP3218K is a DELL DP1.4 monitor. According to Dell (with a quick search), every monitor which support DP1.2 or DP1.4 supports HDCP2.2.
  • Most of the testing from Xilinx engineering team on HDCP2.2 is probably done using the testers
  • For DP to HDMI adapters, as @watari  mentioned, passive adapters will not work as it would require that the DP IP support DP++ (which would be sending HDMI over DP), which is not the case. Active adapters might work but they are not supported by Xilinx. See AR#71773.  It is up to the user to do their own characterization.
    The main difficulty is that none of the adapters (at least I have not found one)  are not officially VESA DP compliant. So testing this type of equipment might result of issues which might be due to the fact that the device is not even following the spec.

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
tim_severance
Scholar
Scholar

Thanks @florentw for the information.   I did order a BenQ EL2870U monitor after talking to one of their customer service reps and they assured me that since it had DP 1.4 it would also support HDCP 2.2.    And I have confirmed with DPCD register reads that this is the case.   I have yet to get the TX only example design working with HDCP but it is a work in progress.  
Thanks. 
Tim

View solution in original post