Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interlaced Video: VDMA Configuration

I have the following queries regarding interlaced video (PAL: 576i):

1. I want to know the VDMA configurations for interlaced video. Currently, this is what I'm doing on Vivado:

configuration on SDK looks like this:

{
    status = *(vdma_addr+0x4/4);
    *(vdma_addr+0x0/4) = 0x8003;
    *(vdma_addr+0x54/4) = 720;
    *(vdma_addr+0x58/4) = 720;
    *(vdma_addr+0x5C/4) = 0x13000000;
    *(vdma_addr+0x60/4) = 0x13000000;
    *(vdma_addr+0x64/4) = 0x13000000;
    *(vdma_addr+0x50/4) = 288;
 }

These configurations output a video as shown here.

Please note that I have come across this question.

2. I have noticed that sometimes, VideoToAXI4S block outputs data = 0 sometimes. Here is what I did:
For a particular design on Vivado, I used to get an output video (as in point #1 above). Next, to analyze waveforms, in "Set-Up-Debug", I increased the "Sample of Data Depth" parameter from 1024 to 16384 (Note that I had not changed anything else). I implemented the design again and generated bit-stream. There was no output and when I saw the waveforms, the output of VideoToAXI4S block (data bits) was all zero. Why does this happen? The monitor was all black too.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Interlaced Video: VDMA Configuration

Hi Meghan,

The VDMA itself has no concept of interlaced vs progressive. So for a straight passthrough of interlaced data, you'll configure the VDMA just like normal but set the vsize to be the number of lines per field.

www.xilinx.com
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. @bwiec

You mean the number of ACTIVE lines per field. Right?

Could you please comment on my 2nd doubt too?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Sure, Meghan.

Yes, I mean active lines.

Hmm well the first thing I'd do is run a reset_project tcl command to clean up all output products generated from vivado and re-run synth/impl just to make sure it's not some goofy tool issue.

After that, I'd take a look at timing. Depending on your device, 16K deep ILAs may use up a significant number of BRAMs on the device. This means timing will be harder to close and maybe that's the issue. Double check your timing report to make sure.

www.xilinx.com
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

That helps! Thank you @bwiec

Another question:

1. Depending on what parameters should I configure the VideoInAXI4Sout block? Currently for PAL input video, I have 1 pixel per clock, 8 component width, mono/sensor format and fifo depth of 1024 (I have tried with 32 too...it's the same output video I get). Hysteresis level is 12. I am getting an output as shown here. I suspect it is because of Video-In-AXI4S-out block since this introduces certain delay in data transfer. However, the sync signals are generated by VTC towards the end of my processing......as input to AXI4S-in-Video-out block. Am I right?

screenshot.png

2. Basically, will this VTC generator generate sync signals considering the delay in data due to all other video processing blocks through with data passes to reach AXI4S-in-Video-out?

0 Kudos