Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Linux driver for VPSS deinterlacing/cropping

Jump to solution

Are there plans to add Linux driver support for deinterlacing and cropping, or any recommendations on how to help us get this added?

As far as I can see the current driver just supports CSC and scaler.

https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18841868/Xilinx+V4L2+VPSS+CSC+driver

https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/160825371/Xilinx+DRM+VPSS+Scaler+driver

https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18842427/Xilinx+V4L2+VPSS+Scaler+driver

temp.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

HI @dhill972 

Let separate the 2 cases:

• VPSS as deinterlacer only: As of now, there is now linux driver and I am not aware of any plan for a linux driver. If any customer has a need for it, I would advise her/him to contact her/his FAE which should contact marketing to show the interest. If there is a big business case (from this customer or multiple customers), this could be added to the roadmap

• Using the VPSS for Video Crop: You can do video crop only when the VPSS is configured as full fledge more. In this mode the VPSS contains a AXI VDMA. Full fledge mode is not supported in linux. But if you think about it, the cropping operation is only reading the data from memory and changing the size of the reading + stride + start address (refer to example 1 in Video Series 26: Examples of advanced uses of the AXI VDMA IP). Under linux, to use the V4L2 or DRM drivers you need to move the data to or from the memory. So you are already going to memory. Adding another AXI VDMA on top of that would not make sense. However, you should probably be able to manage this from your linux application. Gstreamer might also have a utility. However, you might want to look on Gstreamer documentation because Xilinx does not have any example for this.

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted

HI @dhill972 

Let separate the 2 cases:

• VPSS as deinterlacer only: As of now, there is now linux driver and I am not aware of any plan for a linux driver. If any customer has a need for it, I would advise her/him to contact her/his FAE which should contact marketing to show the interest. If there is a big business case (from this customer or multiple customers), this could be added to the roadmap

• Using the VPSS for Video Crop: You can do video crop only when the VPSS is configured as full fledge more. In this mode the VPSS contains a AXI VDMA. Full fledge mode is not supported in linux. But if you think about it, the cropping operation is only reading the data from memory and changing the size of the reading + stride + start address (refer to example 1 in Video Series 26: Examples of advanced uses of the AXI VDMA IP). Under linux, to use the V4L2 or DRM drivers you need to move the data to or from the memory. So you are already going to memory. Adding another AXI VDMA on top of that would not make sense. However, you should probably be able to manage this from your linux application. Gstreamer might also have a utility. However, you might want to look on Gstreamer documentation because Xilinx does not have any example for this.

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks - That is helpful. 

To close this out it was also pointed out to me that this posting "How can I use VPSS deinterlace under linux?" has some helpful insight into this topic.

0 Kudos