Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hrvoje
Visitor
Visitor

Pynq Z1 HDMI in-out question

Hi there,

Having done only Intel/Altera stuff before, I'm a Xilinx noob considering getting a Pynq Z1 board, mainly for the HDMI in/out capabilities and have a couple of questions - any answers or clarification would be much appreciated. My main idea is to play around with HDMI stream processing in realtime, directly in Verilog/VHDL, so here are the things that I'm not sure about:

1. Can the board physically do HDMI input and output at the same time?

2. Is there a specialized HDMI transceiver on the Z1 or simply TMDS to the FPGA directly?

3. Are there tmds to rgb routines/ip available for input and output?

4. Are there any examples of realtime HDMI video processing done in Verilog/VHDL for this board? (e.g. like chroma keying or sobel edge detect)

5. Is the Vivado free to use for this application along with its IP, or are there some restrictions?

Thanks for your time and assistance - much appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
florentw

HI @Hrvoje 

You might want to read my article Video Series 23: Generate a video output on Pynq-Z2 HDMI out

This is only HDMI out and this is for PYNQ-z2 but there is much you can apply back for HDMI in and Pynq-z1

1. Yes it can do a path-through or even independant HDMI in and out

2.This is using the IOs not the GTs (i.e. TMDS)

3. Yes, there are free IPs from digilent you can use. See in my article I am using it for the output

4. Yes you will probably find some but maybe not on the PYNQ-Z1. Or on the PYNQ-Z1 this will be directly with a PYNQ layer. My Video Series articles might be a good starting point

5. Depending on the IPs you want to use but it will be mostly free. Ie. The PYNQ-Z1 can be used in the webpack edition. You can do scaler, color conversion using the VPSS which is free. For Sobel you can use the vision library with HLS for free as well to build your own IP

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
Nikhil_Thapa
Explorer
Explorer

Hi @Hrvoje,

4. Are there any examples of realtime HDMI video processing done in Verilog/VHDL for this board? (e.g. like chroma keying or sobel edge detect)

You can follow these;  Zybo Z7 HDMI Demo - Digilent Reference 

For Video processing with Sobel Edge Detection design, you can visit this workshop manual from digilent: Zybo Z7 Video Workshop.

For more other information, you can visit  Zybo Z7 - Digilent Reference  

I believe that the above resources will certainly help you to go with Pynq-Z1 board. But before this, you must know that the above resources are based on zybo z7-10 board, which has XC7z010 part. Pynq Z1 board has XC7z020 part. Both parts have same architecture. Only the difference is; XC7z020 has more resources than other one. Same designs of XC7z010 will work on XCz020. Only you have to check and correct the board constraints.

Hope this might help you.

Thanks and Regards,

nikhil@logictronix.com
:::::Do not forget to Accept as solution, give Kudo and Share a post that you think is helpful:::::
Hrvoje
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you both for the quick and helpful reply! I am "sold" and ordered myself a Pynq!

Another question, is there a possibility of having the ethernet PHY muxed directly to the PL side of the chip (or some similar way to experiment with ethernet directly from the FPGA) ?

Thank you!

Nikhil_Thapa
Explorer
Explorer

Hi @Hrvoje ,

Another question, is there a possibility of having the ethernet PHY muxed directly to the PL side of the chip (or some similar way to experiment with ethernet directly from the FPGA) ?

You check this beginner level PL based ethernet example gigabit ethernet example design using vivado, which is implemented on Mimas a7 artix-7 fpga development board .

In case of Pynq-z1 board, you have to study its reference manual first. You can also find ethernet reference design in digilent website.

Thanks and Regards,

nikhil@logictronix.com
:::::Do not forget to Accept as solution, give Kudo and Share a post that you think is helpful:::::
0 Kudos