Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joe306
Scholar
Scholar

SDI Transfer using Fiber Transceiver

Jump to solution

Hello, I am working on a design that will receive SDI video send it out over a fiber link and then convert things back to SDI and then to a display monitor. I would like to know if I can connect the Differentials TX/RX pairs of the fiber transceiver to the UHD IP block?

UHD_SDI.jpg

This is a rough sketch of what I need to do. Is this possible with the IP?

Thank you

Joe

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
joe306
Scholar
Scholar

Hello, I found the solution: LMH1219 and LM1218 both can do what I need. 

Joe

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
richardhead
Scholar
Scholar

SDI is transported over Co-ax, so a different transport format may be needed for the fibre transmission. SMPTE provides 2022-6 as a means to transport SDI over IP. But I am not sure if Xilinx provide IP for 2022-6 any more. They used to provide this, but it has been deprecated:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/modular_moip_infrastructure/v1_0/pg241-modular-moip-infrastructure.pdf

For full 12G SDI, you will need a 25G ethernet link for 2022-6

If you fancy giving a gateway a go, you can squeeze a 12G SDI video into a 2110 link over a 10G link (again, Xilinx provides no IP afaik).

joe306
Scholar
Scholar

Hello, thank you for responding to my post. So we can't simply connect the TX/RX pairs from the IP to the DIFF TX/RX pins of the fiber transceiver? Rats! What's the limitation here? Is the IP doing 8b/10b encoding?

I've seen some SDI extenders that use fiber and we want to do the same but we want to do overlay and ANC insertion and we'd like to do it ourselves.

Respectfully,

Joe

0 Kudos
richardhead
Scholar
Scholar

I stand corrected - SMPTE does provide a standard for SDI over Fibre: https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7839891

But Ive not seen it used - as far as I can tell its for long haul links, up to 10km. Up to 100m is usually always co-ax. I assume the issue is that for 12G, its not actually a single link, but 4 links multiplexed together.

Hence why there is a big push to move everyone into IP.

joe306
Scholar
Scholar

Hello, thank you for responding to my message. So, are you saying that it may be possible to directly connect the SMPTE SDI IP to the Fiber Transceiver?  Correct me if I'm wrong here, but fiber transmission requires 8b/10b encoding, does the LogiCore IP support this encoding/decoding? I did a search through the GT, RX and TX documents but I did not see anything for encoding.

Our goal is 12G but we will start out with 3G. 

Thank you

0 Kudos
joe306
Scholar
Scholar

Hello, I found the solution: LMH1219 and LM1218 both can do what I need. 

Joe

View solution in original post

0 Kudos