Did you mean: 
melofelossa
Observer
Observer

Searching for a XILINX SoC I2S Linux ALSA Tutorial

Jump to solution

Hello there!
I am completely new here.

I am searching for a tutorial / guide which explains step by step how to setup a I2S Audio pipeline which should be usable via Linux ALSA . I have a Xilinx SoC Board with the tlv320aic3104 Audio codec. I want to capture and send audio via I2S to the codec via linux. And I want to configure the codec via I2C.
I have created a block design in which I connetected I2S Transmitter and Receiver IP with the I2S Audio Formater IP. But I am not very confident about my block design since I am a beginner. I also do not know how to use the drivers for the IP cores.
I found that the necessary drivers for my hadware designare available. There are drivers for I2S Audio formatter IP, I2S RX/TX IP,  tlv320aic3104 Audio codec and I2C in the mainline linux kernel. This means that I only need to add the entries to the device tree.
The major problem I have is that I don't know how to make the linux device drivers work together. I've already written some simple device drivers for my intel / altera SoC. But those were very simple since they were independent of other drivers.

Do you know a tutorial which explains in detail how to make a proper I2S audio piplinee block design and how to use the needed drivers?
I've searched alot in google and in this forum but I didn't find a tutorial which meets my needs.

Thank you very much for your help!
Of course I will give kudos if the answer was helpful to me!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
aoifem

Hi @melofelossa 

Have you already taken a look at our VCU TRD? It contains some example designs (including block designs) for the I2S using Xilinx Yocto PetaLinux flow

https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/1010303044/Zynq+UltraScale+MPSoC+VCU+TRD+2020.2

Aoife
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA

**~ Got a minute? Answer our Vitis HLS survey here! ~**

**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

View solution in original post

3 Replies
aoifem

Hi @melofelossa 

Have you already taken a look at our VCU TRD? It contains some example designs (including block designs) for the I2S using Xilinx Yocto PetaLinux flow

https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/1010303044/Zynq+UltraScale+MPSoC+VCU+TRD+2020.2

Aoife
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA

**~ Got a minute? Answer our Vitis HLS survey here! ~**

**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

View solution in original post

melofelossa
Observer
Observer

Thank you!
I will try to use this documentation as guide for my project.
However this documentation is mixed up with the video processing part which is kinda confusing for me as a beginner. It would be extremly helpful if you knew a tutorial / guide on how to create a I2S Blockdesign + Xilinx ASoC Drivers + Linux ALSA.

0 Kudos
melofelossa
Observer
Observer

Thank you your suggestion "Xilinx Audio TRD" was helpful!

0 Kudos