cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Using discontinued IP in VIVADO 2019.1 block design

Hi,

I'm working on a project on VIVADO 2019.1 and I need to use the Video Scaler v8.1 IP which is discontinued in VIVADO 2015.3. I'm able to import the xci component of the IP in my project but VIVADO don't let me add it to the block design. Do someone know if there is some kind of standard procedure to do so? I mean, I bought the license for this IP, how is that possible that I cannot use it anymore in the newer version of VIVADO?

Currently I'm working on a kintex board KCU105.

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted

Hi @danildon91 

When you buy a license for an IP, you get a 1-year support. This means that you will be able to use the IP for at least the vivado versions released in the following year. I say at least because it can be more if the IP revision does not change.

When an IP is discontinued, Xilinx will issue a discontinuation notice and the IP will be removed from the IP catalogue after a year (more in some cases). But from the discontinuation notice, Xilinx will not sell the license anymore.

Once the IP is removed from the IP catalogue, then the IP sources are not part of the Vivado installation. Thus if you try to add the IP in the project then vivado will not be able to generate the IP.

The only way that you would have would be to generate the project in 2015.3 then move to a later version. But because you cannot upgrade the IP you cannot make any change to it. Also, if you have any issue with the IP, you will get no support from XIlinx.

With all that said, I would not recommend to use the Video Scaler moving forward.

You might want to consider replacing this IP with the Video Processing IP which was design to replace the video scaler IP. Not that the VPSS IP comes with no charges (i.e. no license) from 2018.3 and newer versions.

Regards

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**