cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

VPSS stops after first frame

I have been trying to set up a VPSS without using the xilinx driver. I know this configuration is not recommended but I have requirements about no software in my project. There is basically zero documentation on how to setup the VPSS in RTL, but I was able to get it to work in Scaler Mode Only by looking at the driver. The last problem I have is the VPSS seems to stop after the first frame, even if the Autorestart is enabled.

Any advice?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted

Hi @mark_cynell 

This is even worst than not recommended. The flow you are using is not supported by Xilinx.

The reason why we only recommend using the drivers is because you need to make sure to all configurations are done in the proper time.

So just to say that in your configuration, this is unlikely you will get any support. 

The only advice is to start with a processor (and keep working with a processor and the driver). You can try to replicate the processor is doing but you will get no support

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
Highlighted

I understand that Xilinx is trying to force everyone to move towards software, but not every project can fit a processor just to write a few registers.

Thanks a lot for your "help"

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @mark_cynell 

This is clearly documented in the PG that the flow is not supported. This is the way the the IPs has been designed. So you were aware of this while starting designing with the IP

And keep in mind that this IP is provided for free. You are free to design your own solution not involving a processor

Also, the VPSS is a subsystem, so designed with multiple sub-ip which make it complex. You need to start each IP in the correct order and make sure they are correcly started. So it is not anymore just writing few registers. We have no design running without a processor with this IP. So supporting customers not using the drivers might be more effort than you think.

But if you are using the drivers and face any issues, we will be here to help (i.e. supported flow)

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**