Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jg_spitfire
Adventurer
Adventurer

Video Beginner Series 20 - 21: no video input detected in monitor - ac701 board

Jump to solution

Hi @florentw , I hope you can help me with some queries, I am trying to configure your example of adv7511 with the zc702 for my ac701, but I don´t understand some configs, my board has this specs

hdmi ac701.png

your config:

step 22:

register 0x18 : Why do you convert YCbCr 4:2:2 to RGB and how did you choose that config?

register 0x55 : Why do you set the AVI info frame with an RGB output when in step 23 register 0x16 you set YCbCr 4:4:4?

register 0x56 : Why do you set the AVI info frame with a 16:9 ratio when in the block design the VTC IP is set to 800x600(4:3)?

step 23:

register 0x16 : Why do you set a YCbCr 4:4:4 output?

my config:

step 22:

register 0x18: set to 0x00 (no CSC), this forum recommends to disable CSC when you have a YCbCr 4:4:4 input

register 0x55: not programmed (I think I could avoid this because in the quick start guide they are not configured)

register 0x56: not programmed (I think I could avoid this because in the quick start guide they are not configured)

register 0xAF: changed to HDMI input because I disabled the YCbCr to RGB conversion in the register 0x18

step 23:

register 0x15: changed to 0x00  to set YCbCr 4:4:4 input 

register 0x16 and register 0x48: changed to 0x00 (datasheet says it is not necessary to config them when set 0x15 to 0x00)

reg 0x15.png

from video series 21 I changed this config:

// Set Color Space to YUV422
 //XV_tpg_Set_colorFormat(&tpg_inst, 0x02);

//to
 XV_tpg_Set_colorFormat(&tpg_inst, 0x01);

because is the correct configuration if we want the TPG IP creates a YCbCr 4:4:4 output 

TPG datasheet.png

my monitor is this: this

and I have "no input detected" message in the monitor, what could be wrong?

PD: I am able to detect the monitor HPD

thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jg_spitfire
Adventurer
Adventurer

the problem was located and fixed in this post, thanks @florentw 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
florentw

Hi @jg_spitfire 

This is quite a long time I wrote this article so I cannot remember exactly but most of the settings are coming from the Quick Start Guide from the ADV7511 programmer guide:

quickstart.JPG

So I kept most of the settings as default, it was working for my use case. I guess it is more likely to have a monitor which supports RGB than YCbCr so it might be good to start with RGB output (so set in the infoframe).

On the ZC702, you have a YCbCr422 input so you have to first convert to YCbCr444 (0x16) then convert to RGB (0x18). Now let's look at your config:

my config:

step 22:

register 0x18: set to 0x00 (no CSC), this forum recommends to disable CSC when you have a YCbCr 4:4:4 input

Florent - This sounds right

register 0x55: not programmed (I think I could avoid this because in the quick start guide they are not configured)

register 0x56: not programmed (I think I could avoid this because in the quick start guide they are not configured)

Florent - If you are setting to HDMI as below, I guess you will need to set the infoframes correctly, at least for the color space you are sending

register 0xAF: changed to HDMI input because I disabled the YCbCr to RGB conversion in the register 0x18

Florent - Ok, but you need to set the infoframes so the sink know what it receives

step 23:

register 0x15: changed to 0x00  to set YCbCr 4:4:4 input 

register 0x16 and register 0x48: changed to 0x00 (datasheet says it is not necessary to config them when set 0x15 to 0x00)

reg 0x15.png

from video series 21 I changed this config:

// Set Color Space to YUV422
 //XV_tpg_Set_colorFormat(&tpg_inst, 0x02);

//to
 XV_tpg_Set_colorFormat(&tpg_inst, 0x01);

because is the correct configuration if we want the TPG IP creates a YCbCr 4:4:4 output 

TPG datasheet.png

my monitor is this: this

and I have "no input detected" message in the monitor, what could be wrong?

PD: I am able to detect the monitor HPD

thanks

The first thing to debug would be to make sure you have video signals going out of your FPGA. I would recommend adding an ILA to the debug signals of the AXI4-Stream to video out (underflow, overflow, and status (and potentially tvalid and tready)). Then once you have this first step working you can look at the ADV7511 configuration.

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
jg_spitfire
Adventurer
Adventurer

the problem was located and fixed in this post, thanks @florentw 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos