partieri
Observer
Observer

Video Timing Controller 6.1 Vivado 2018.3 wrong parameters

Jump to solution

We have a problem configuring the VTC 6.1 in Vivado 2018.3

Selecting 1080i video mode as a format, the orizzontal setting windows report:

Active size : 1920, Frame size = 2200, Sync startt 2008 and sync end : 2052

If we aren't wrong these parameters are for "1920x1080@60Hz (I)".

We need all the configuration parameters for a frame rate equal to 50Hz (I).

Are these parameters available? Otherwise could you details how to configure a "1920x1080@50Hz (I)" using the VTC 6.1 configuration parameters windows?

Regards

Paolo Artieri (paolo.artieri@mindway-design.com)

Immagine.png
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
florentw

Hi @partieri 

@partieri wrote:

I don't understand the reason.

My imput stream is clocked with a 74.25 MHz and a frame rate of 50Hz (I), I configured the VTC with this resolution and the same clock frequency, why have I to use a VDMA or a lower frequency if my desidered clock pixel output must be 74.25 MHz, equeal to input clock pixel?

[Florent] - You will need some time to have the VTC synchronized with the AXI4-Stream to video out. If you do not have any data it will probably fail. You might want to try to add a VDMA ans see if it helps.

Chapter 3 page 24  "Interlaced Operation ", of "AXI4-Stream to Video Out v4.0, LogiCORE IP Product Guide", show exactly this configuration without VDMA.

[Florent] - It shows a block "video processing cores". The VDMA can be one of them.

Status signals is equal to 0x000C0000. What does it means?

[Florent] - The answer is both in my Video Beginner Series 7: How does the AXI4-Stream to Video Out IP work? and in the PG044

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
florentw

Hi @partieri ,

You are right, the parameters for the GUI are for 1920x1080@60i. You might want to use the driver (enabling the AXI4-Lite interface) if you want more timing options.

The timing for 1920x1080@50i is documenented in the video_common driver (use by the vtc driver). Just look for XVIDC_VM_1920x1080_50_I.

Regards,

Florent
0 Kudos
partieri
Observer
Observer

Hi florentw,

I found this parameters for my configuration "1920x1080@50Hz (I)":

{1920, 528, 44, 148, 2640, 1,
540, 2, 5, 15, 562, 3, 5, 15, 563, 1}

and I tried to put them in a Custom configuration by the VTC gui, without axi4-lite interface. Are there correct or is there some mistake?

My design is connected with a VideoIn2AxiStream, a VTC controller and an AxiStream2VideoOut, without any VDMA.

I have an interlaced video input with a clock pixel equal to 74.25MHz, for all IPs, so the clock is the same, but the axiStream2VideoOut don't works and there is some underflow, with a duration of 720 cloks (as Hblank signal) or more when Vblank signal is high.

I tried to use VTC in generator mode only and also both generation/detection mode without any results.

What is the reason?

vtc_setting.PNG
bd_design.PNG
ila_data.PNG
0 Kudos
florentw

HI @partieri ,

I spoted at least one error in your configuration. For the filed 0 of the vertical settings, Sync start should be 542 (then sync end 547).

However, the fact that you do not have any buffering (like a VDMA) is probably the reason why you see the overflow.

If the timing was incorrect you would have a different issue. You can refer to my Video Beginner Series 8: Debugging the AXI4-Stream to Video Out IP for details.

I would recommend to add at least a FIFO to make sure you have some buffering. But the best would be to add a VDMA

Regards,

Florent
0 Kudos
partieri
Observer
Observer

My imput stream is clocked with a 74.25 MHz and a frame rate of 50Hz (I), I configured the VTC with this resolution and the same clock frequency, why have I to use a VDMA or a lower frequency if my desidered clock pixel output must be 74.25 MHz, equeal to input clock pixel?

Chapter 3 page 24  "Interlaced Operation ", of "AXI4-Stream to Video Out v4.0, LogiCORE IP Product Guide", show exactly this configuration without VDMA.

interlaced_op.png
0 Kudos
florentw

Hi @partieri 

@partieri wrote:

[Florent] - You will need some time to have the VTC synchronized with the AXI4-Stream to video out. If you do not have any data it will probably fail. You might want to try to add a VDMA ans see if it helps.

[Florent] - It shows a block "video processing cores". The VDMA can be one of them.

[Florent] - The answer is both in my Video Beginner Series 7: How does the AXI4-Stream to Video Out IP work? and in the PG044

Florent

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
florentw

Hi @partieri ,

Do you have any update on this? Is everything working for you?

If your question is answered or your issue is solved, please kindly mark the response which helped as solution (click on "Accept as solution" button below the reply)

If this is not solved/answered, please reply in the topic giving more information on your current status.

Thanks and Regards,

Florent
0 Kudos
partieri
Observer
Observer

Hi florentw,

the vdma has solved the problem with 1080i resolution. Now the axi stream to video out is locked.

I have another problem with another resolution, which i posted in another one.

Than you so much.