Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Video conversion with Lower resolution from HDMI to CSI2

Hi Everyone,

I am a beginner in the FPGA world and I am working on a project where I need to lower the resolution of the video, where the video is provided either from the HDMI or SDI. And I need the output in form CSI2. It should be realtime.

In simpler form: 

Input- (a x b) 30fps video through HDMI. a,b = pixel length and width

output- (c x d) 30fps video as CSI2. c,d = pixel length and width

Could you guys guide me in it and which hardware is capable of doing this task?

Thanks in Advance.

With Regards,

Manish

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @manish393 

If my understanding is correct, you can select proper FPGA from the following families.

- Spartan6

- 7 seriase

- Ultrascale

- Ultrascale+

Best regards,

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi @watari,

Thanks for the suggestions. But as far as my research I could not find way to convert hdmi to csi2 for those boards. Do I need some separate module? Is there any tutorial that I can follow for the same task?

With Regards,

Manish

Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @manish393 

You must design bridge chip with HDMI Rx IP and MIPI CSI2 Tx.

It's easy, if you use AXI4Stream in your design.

Would you try it ?

Best regards,

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi  @watari,

thanks for your guidance.

I will definitely try that and I have decided to go with Zynq Ultrascale+ 104 for the hardware. As this FPGA does not have CSI2 port. So I cannot perform my test directly on the Hardware. I have tried to find out the LPC FMC board which has CSI2 as an output. But I could find any board that has CSI2 as an output. Mostly I found has CSI2 as an input or DSI as an output. Is there an FMC board in the market that gives me this functionality?

With Regards,

Manish

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @manish393 

>Is there an FMC board in the market that gives me this functionality?

Unfortunately I guess no. You try to design PCB by yourself...

Would you try it ?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi @watari

Thanks for your support.

But that would be too complex for me. I will look and research around for some other ways to solve my problem.

With Regards,

Manish

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @manish393,

Watari is correct that a CSI-2 TX FMC bord is not currently available. (As far as I know) 

Here is a similar thread that confirms.

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Video/Looking-for-board-for-SDI-to-MIPI-CSI-2/td-p/1003999

If you need CSI-2 TX and are planning on creating your own board, while you wait for the board, you can possibly use a WHZ-FMC XM-107 board and loopback the TX into RX for hardware testing. This would be work that you would need to do on your side. For CSI-2 TX, we only provide a simulation design.

Thanks,

Sam

Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

Xilinx Video Design Hub
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi @watari@samk,

I came across some boards that might help me in my task. 

https://solutions.inrevium.com/products/pdf/TB_FMCL_MIPI_HWUserManual_3.01e.pdf

https://solutions.inrevium.com/products/pdf/TB-FMCL-MIPI-DIRECT_HWUserManual_1.00e.pdf

The vendor of first two boards told me that DSI output can be used as CSI2 output. But they have not really tested it with zynq zcu104 whether LPC FMC port transfer the data between two boards. How can I check that by comparing their pinout?  

http://www.sundancedsp.com/products/io-modules/fmc/fmc-mipi-4-channes-dsicsi-mipi-solution-in-fmc/#

The vendor of the 3rd board told me that even though it is HPC FMC board but still can be used for LPC FMC board. 

This is the only information I have until now. Can experts here please tell me whether this information is enough for making the decision? If not, what more information I should get to make the decision clearer? 

Any help would be appreciated. 

With Regards,

Manish

Highlighted

Hi @manish393,

FMC is a standard that calls for the pins to be populated in a specific order. 

What matters is which pins from the FPGA are used to populate the FMC connector of the ZCU104.

If the pins that were used to populate the (low pin count) LPC follow the rules in APPX C of PG202 then you should be fine.

To figure this out, you can get the board files from the ZCU104 product webpage. Because Xilinx does not have a design targeting this board, it can not be assumed that the pins are all populated in a way that works for MIPI. Although, I would say that it is likely.

This is also how you can find your pinout and start constraining the MIPI design.

Thanks,

sam

Xilinx Video Design Hub
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi @samk ,

What I understand from your answer is that the boards that I mentioned in my previous reply are okay if the zynq US+ zcu104 supports MIPI from its FMC port. 

Please correct me if I understand it wrong.

If I understand it correctly could you please tell me which FMC board you would choose for this task?

I will check whether it supports MIPI out of the box.

Thanks.

With Regards,

Manish

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @manish393,

"okay if the zynq US+ zcu104 supports MIPI from its FMC port."

SK - correct, if the pins exist this should be ok.

If this is from the vendor, then I would defer to the as we have not tested either, but if the connections are there I would assume that this should work. 

The vendor of first two boards told me that DSI output can be used as CSI2 output. But they have not really tested it with zynq zcu104 whether LPC FMC port transfer the data between two boards. How can I check that by comparing their pinout? 

Xilinx Video Design Hub
0 Kudos