cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boychantrau_9a4
Observer
Observer

What’s the meaning of detection in Video Timing Controller (VTC) IP ?

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I’m new to video and image processing, and I have a question in understanding Video Timing Controller IP Core.

As I’ve read in PG016 v6.2, VTC can detect timing signals of incoming video. After some searching, I’v learned that video timing signals include video_active, hsync, vsync, hblank, vblank.

When configuring VTC IP core, if I only select “Enable Detection”, the IP Core receives timing signals as input. 

So my question is, if VTC IPCore has already received timing signals as inputs, so what does it detects ? I didn’t get the meaning of “detecting timing signals of incoming video”.

I know maybe this is basic, but I’m really confused about this function.

Thank you all for your help and explaination!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Nikhil_Thapa
Explorer
Explorer

HI @boychantrau_9a4 ,

.....So my question is, if VTC IPCore has already received timing signals as inputs, so what does it detects ? I didn’t get the meaning of “detecting timing signals of incoming video”.

Yes, exactly, the VTC IP in detection mode, it requires the timing signals, such as video_active, hsync, vsync, hblank, vblank.

Those timing signals are only input to VTC. By utilizing these signals, VTC detects timing parameters, such as horizontal and vertical timing parameters (that is, active video size, sync polarity, sync width, porch size etc..).

These parameters can then eventually be used to detect the video resolution of incoming streams or they can be used for video timing generation dynamically from the software side. For example, if you work in such a design, where the output stream's video resolution has to be changed according to the input stream's video resolution, then, at this time, VTC plays quite an important role.

Detector VTC is also able to detect whether the video is interlaced or progressive.

I think you can also visit this forum.

Solved: Purpose of Video timing detector in VTC - Community Forums  

Regards,

nikhil@logictronix.com
:::::Do not forget to Accept as solution, give Kudo and Share a post that you think is helpful:::::

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Nikhil_Thapa
Explorer
Explorer

HI @boychantrau_9a4 ,

.....So my question is, if VTC IPCore has already received timing signals as inputs, so what does it detects ? I didn’t get the meaning of “detecting timing signals of incoming video”.

Yes, exactly, the VTC IP in detection mode, it requires the timing signals, such as video_active, hsync, vsync, hblank, vblank.

Those timing signals are only input to VTC. By utilizing these signals, VTC detects timing parameters, such as horizontal and vertical timing parameters (that is, active video size, sync polarity, sync width, porch size etc..).

These parameters can then eventually be used to detect the video resolution of incoming streams or they can be used for video timing generation dynamically from the software side. For example, if you work in such a design, where the output stream's video resolution has to be changed according to the input stream's video resolution, then, at this time, VTC plays quite an important role.

Detector VTC is also able to detect whether the video is interlaced or progressive.

I think you can also visit this forum.

Solved: Purpose of Video timing detector in VTC - Community Forums  

Regards,

nikhil@logictronix.com
:::::Do not forget to Accept as solution, give Kudo and Share a post that you think is helpful:::::

View solution in original post

boychantrau_9a4
Observer
Observer

Hi @Nikhil_Thapa,

Thank you for your answer. It’s clear and helps me a lot.

But one more question please. How can I view timing parameters (video size, sync polarity, sync width...) when using VTC as detector ?

0 Kudos
Nikhil_Thapa
Explorer
Explorer

@boychantrau_9a4 ,

It's glad to hear from you. 

How can I view timing parameters (video size, sync polarity, sync width...) when using VTC as detector ?

Yes, you can view the timing parameters. You have to enable the AXI4_Lite Interface in the VTC IP and then you can use VTC API to get all these parameters.

Regards,

nikhil@logictronix.com
boychantrau_9a4
Observer
Observer

@Nikhil_Thapa 

ah yeah. So they’re stored in internal registers inside IP Core. Thank you a lot!

0 Kudos