Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ipg
Visitor
Visitor

Zynq UltraScale+ VCU Multiple Ethernet

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm interested in the Zynq UltraScale+ architecture with the VCU for H.264 encoding.

Is it possible to generate two independent ethernet streams (two physical indipendend ethernet connections) with different encoded video data in the Zynq UltraScale+ devices?

I understood, that the VCU can generate multiple video encodings in parallel. But for me it is not clear, if I can output them by two physical different ethernet connections.

Thanks for your assistance!

Best regards,

ipg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
watari
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @ipg 

>Is it possible to generate two independent ethernet streams (two physical indipendend ethernet connections) with different encoded video data in the Zynq UltraScale+ devices?

>I understood, that the VCU can generate multiple video encodings in parallel. But for me it is not clear, if I can output them by two physical different ethernet connections.

Yes. You can output them by two physical different ethernet connections.

But you may have to prepare routing setting on linux.

Best regards,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
watari
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @ipg 

>Is it possible to generate two independent ethernet streams (two physical indipendend ethernet connections) with different encoded video data in the Zynq UltraScale+ devices?

>I understood, that the VCU can generate multiple video encodings in parallel. But for me it is not clear, if I can output them by two physical different ethernet connections.

Yes. You can output them by two physical different ethernet connections.

But you may have to prepare routing setting on linux.

Best regards,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
jjeanmichel_lin
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

I am having a peculiar issue with trying to run two independent Ethernet interfaces on a ZCU111.

I have essentially combined the ps_emio_eth_1g (GEM0 over EMIO) ps_emio_eth_1g (GEM3 over MIO) example projects for petalinux 2019.1 in the repo below.

https://github.com/Xilinx-Wiki-Projects/ZCU102-Ethernet/tree/main/2019.1

U-boot detects both interfaces, and the links come up once I login the ZCU111 and do an ifconfig as shown below.

jjeanmichel_lin_0-1617227723020.png

The issue is that I can only TX/RX using only one of the interface at a time - it appears to be the last one that comes up too, which is in line with various forum posts I read.

I have also noticed that if only leave one interface up (either eth0 or eth1), even if it was not the last one up, that one can always ping the device it's connected to and I can ping it from the device as well.

The answer here says "you may have to prepare routing setting on linux" can you elaborate on that?

Most of the other issues I have seen that describe what I am seeing prescribe fixing some source files that I don't have considering I am not using LwIP.

Like here: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Processor-System-Design-and-AXI/Microblaze-dual-ethernet-problem-with-LWIP/td-p/873021

My best guess is it has something to do with the macb driver or perhaps routing as mentioned here.

I hope to get more guidance and getting the 2 Ethernet interfaces running concurrently.

Thanks

0 Kudos
watari
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @jjeanmichel_lin 

Would you post it as new thread, if you want to get an answer ?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
jjeanmichel_lin
Visitor
Visitor
0 Kudos