cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

how read and write video?

I am new in this field, and I am working on a project read video and applied some equations and then write it.

I have board Nexys A7, Artix -7. any advise me?

I  regard that

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hey there, the Nexyx-A7 board is more of a classroom type board with lots of switches, buttons, leds; its a good beginner board to learn about the basics of digital design and learn HDL (verilog/vhdl). It is also only programmable logic, there is no CPU embedded in the silicon, like the Zynq 7-series FPGA's.

Do you have a specific application in mind? I ask, because you mentioned video, and the Nexsys A7 does not have any video input and a VGA output. You mentioned you are new, please bear with me, but if you are locked into this board, one option would be to stream the video in through the Ethernet, setup a MicroBlaze with the LWip driver, and us socket communications to get the data in and out. Otherwise you could stream the data in through Ethernet and output the VGA, but you mentioned you want video in, process the video, then video out. You may also run out of resources, and depending on your experience this approach can get complicated quickly.

I would recommend getting the Zybo-Z7 which has built in HDMI sink (RX) and source ports (TX), theres plenty of examples on the Zybo out there, and on the product page they even offer an HDMI Demo that may provide a great start for what you are trying to achieve:

https://reference.digilentinc.com/learn/programmable-logic/tutorials/zybo-z7-hdmi-demo/start

Lastly, you mention that you are new in this field, it may be more advantageous to use an embedded platform with a CPU for video processing. I am only saying this because I don't know what your ambitions are, if its to learn about FPGAs and get into the field, then video processing is probably not a great starting point, or if its to get something up and running quickly that you can play with, raspberry pi's are great for this.

Feel free to ask more questions or leave any comments.

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi mleccadito,

Thank you for your reply. have a specific application. This application emulates a sender device, this device applies specific code on video by Encoding process then send video. and I locked into this board Artix-7 100T csg324.what are you advise me?

viber_image_2020-08-02_21-03-06.jpg
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Yes I am familiar with the board, however you are being a little vague on the requirements for your application.

You say the application emulates a sender device, can you be more specific on what this means? What does the connection look like? Is there a host machine sending data over Ethernet? Is the input some type of digital protocol? Is the emulation of sending the data an IP core in the programmable logic?

I am trying to not get to "application specific" with your project, but it would help a lot if you could explain how the data is getting in and out of the device, or whether there is already an IP core that sends and receives the data and your objective is to simply apply the encoding.

I am not really sure what type of advice you are asking, and I understand your English is not that great so I am trying to help as much as I can. You keep mentioning sending and receiving, I can't tell if its all in programmable logic on the fpga or if there is some type of data being streamed in and out of the fpga.

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you for your interest in answering my question.
My project is as follows: I want to apply some type of encryption to the video and send this video (which is a transmitter node) to another board FPGA that I consider (a receiving node) and then decode the video. Please bear with me a little because the ideas are confused in my mind due to my lack of experience with FPGA. My question
Is it possible to implement this project with this board? Where do I start?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi mleccadito.

How do I store the stream in a variable or an array to process it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

@Amenah89,

How do I store the stream in a variable or an array to process it?

You don't.

Most FPGAs don't have enough block RAM to store a reasonably sized video frame.  While you can pay a pretty penny for one with a lot of block RAM, the easier option is usually to do stream processing on the video.  If you absolutely need to store the video into RAM somewhere, then typically an off-chip RAM would be used, and Xilinx provides a Video DMA that can store a video stream to off-chip RAM.

Dan

Highlighted

Hi @Amenah89 

If you are new to Video design on FPGA, I recommend you go through my Video Series articles. It can help you getting started

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**