Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dr.elichan
Contributor
Contributor

vdma genlock problem in hdmi passthrough application

Jump to solution

I need to receive a non-steady  video stream and to transmit it as a steady video stream with different frame rate. I am now puzzling on what is the most viable ways to do it?

1) Scenerio one:

Hdmi in -> (Dynamic Genlock Master)VDMA 0(Dynamic Genlock Slave) -> Slow HLS IP(w/ non steady streaming output)  -> (Dynamic Genlock Slave)VDMA1(Dynamic Genlock Master)->Hdmi out

Is it viable to let HDMI out be connected to Dynamic Genlock Master of VDMA1? Will the "slow IP" manage to behave as a Master(?) to send axi4 stream to VDMA1?

2) Scenerio two:

Hdmi in -> (Dynamic Genlock Master)VDMA 0(Dynamic Genlock Slave) -> Slow HLS IP(w/ non steady streaming output  -> (Dynamic Genlock Master)VDMA1(Dynamic Genlock Slave)->Hdmi out

Can Dynamic Genlock Master of VDMA1 manage to read streaming from the "Slow IP"?

3) Another other alternatives?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
florentw

HI @dr.elichan 

The option 2 is the better in my opinion.

Most of the time you want the S2MM interfaces of the VDMA to be the Master. The reason is simple. If the MM2S is the Master then it will not care about what was the last frame to come into memory.

Thus what will happen is that it might read older frames than the last one displayed

Can Dynamic Genlock Master of VDMA1 manage to read streaming from the "Slow IP"?

Yes, it will take the time it needs to write the frame into memory

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

View solution in original post

1 Reply
florentw

HI @dr.elichan 

The option 2 is the better in my opinion.

Most of the time you want the S2MM interfaces of the VDMA to be the Master. The reason is simple. If the MM2S is the Master then it will not care about what was the last frame to come into memory.

Thus what will happen is that it might read older frames than the last one displayed

Yes, it will take the time it needs to write the frame into memory

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

View solution in original post