UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor ygtcmz
Visitor

ARTIX-7 Video Processing

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

I would lilke to make video Processing with Artix-7 FPGA board. Could anyone help me how i could do this or what i should know fundemantal things ?

Thanks for advice.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: ARTIX-7 Video Processing

Jump to solution

@ygtcmz wrote:

@u4223374  Thaks for all of your information. It could very helpful for me.

I know I am look like very nerbie and maybe make you angry but could you give me short information about MIPI and LVDS differences?

LVDS is an electrical signalling standard. Essentially it defines voltage levels (among other things) so that two LVDS devices can talk to each other. Many cameras use a "raw" LVDS data stream - essentially just the pixels with a small amount of synchronization information attached.

MIPI is a higher-level protocol that can use LVDS (D-PHY) or a rather more interesting electrical signalling system (C-PHY) to transfer data. I'm pretty sure that Xilinx FPGAs can't handle C-PHY without a converter, so you're left with the LVDS-based D-PHY.

With regards to FMC - ideally you go and buy the FMC standard, but otherwise there's some documentation available about how the connector is wired (and most FPGA development kits include a schematic showing which FMC pins connect to which BGA pins). Then you need to do a lot of research into LVDS PCB design - it's a complicated topic.

13 Replies
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

Jump to solution

@ygtcmz,

Start from here: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Video/Xilinx-Video-Series/td-p/849583

The FPGA part won't matter much.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visitor ygtcmz
Visitor

Jump to solution

@dpaul24  Thank you for your helping.

Can i ask you that How can I connet camera to FPGA board ? (Camera Special Cmos sensor with 33Pins )

0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

@ygtcmz You'll need to design a custom PCB to adapt the camera to an interface supported by your board. If you've got one of the very basic Artix boards (with only Pmod/Arduino headers) then you might need to upgrade to one with FMC, since that supports much higher data rates.

0 Kudos
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

Jump to solution

@ygtcmz,

Yes, with the required connectors and a connector cable. :-)

What happened to your initial question on learning the fundamentals?

Could anyone help me how i could do this......

Please note that customized step by step instructions is out of scope for me.

FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
0 Kudos
Visitor ygtcmz
Visitor

Jump to solution

Actually i have a camera with 33 pins. as @u4223374 said that i need make special PCB to connect camera and Artix-7. But ı do not know where i can begin.

@dpaul24 .. I ask my friend and he said that after you connected them, you just write IPCORE and MIPI interface. I have been thought about this.

0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

@ygtcmz Which "camera with 33 pins"? The number of pins is irrelevant, all that matters is what it does with those pins. Are we talking about a sensor with a MIPI interface? Or a basic LVDS interface? Or parallel LVCMOS18? Or (heaven forbid) a bunch of raw analogue channels, like the CMV71000? What data rate does it produce?

This is likely to be a big project. Before you even get to the FPGA design you'll need to learn enough electronics and Eagle/KiCAD/whatever to design a PCB for the camera. If it's got a fast interface, an appropriate PCB could well cost >$100. If it's connecting via FMC, the FMC connector is (a) not cheap, and (b) not practical to solder by hand. When you do get to "just write IPCORE and MIPI interface", as your friend said, you'll find that this is not a small task - even for someone familiar with FPGAs and HDL.

Visitor ygtcmz
Visitor

Jump to solution

I know I am look like very nerbie and maybe make you angry but could you give me short information about MIPI and LVDS differences?

You are totally right because when i have searched for this topic ,  it would need very high level knowledge. ( by the way ı have been watching your link FPGA Video Processing )

Could you give me some advice to model for connection FMC ?

0 Kudos
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

Jump to solution

Please Google for such fundamental questions, good info is available on the internet (why would someone write for you again stuff which is already existing).

I think you need to study a lot of stuff first and clear up on fundamentals before attempting a full fledged project.

It is not as simple as I give you A, B and C which you connect in P and Q ways, and your video processing system is working.

Search the net for vdo processing tutorials specially the ones on GitHub, Hackstar.io, etc and see how people have been doing them.

FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored

Jump to solution

HI @ygtcmz 

What @dpaul24 wants to say is that you need to do some research on your side. Do not expect that you will get everything on the forums to do all your project.

There are consultant companies which can help you if you pay them. I am not sure you will get anybody to help you do everything for free.

You can ask specific questions on this forums, you will get answer.

But if you ask a question like "how do I do this project", you are unlikely to get somebody to give you all the answers. Even more if you haven't even read the datasheet of the camera you want to use... This is basics of engineering job...

Regards

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
Visitor ygtcmz
Visitor

Jump to solution

Mr/Mrs @florentw and @dpaul24 

Thank you for your all help. I know these questions very basic for you. Actually I asked these questions to show my teams for "this is not basic and easy way to solve".

I am totally agree with you to do some reaseach. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

There different ways to do video processing, first u need to know the requirements according to that u can plan the flow of the design.

The basic design is like you need the image sensor like CMOS or CCD, then some RAM memory to store the image data to process.

Thanks

Give kudos

Highlighted
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

@ygtcmz wrote:

LVDS is an electrical signalling standard. Essentially it defines voltage levels (among other things) so that two LVDS devices can talk to each other. Many cameras use a "raw" LVDS data stream - essentially just the pixels with a small amount of synchronization information attached.

MIPI is a higher-level protocol that can use LVDS (D-PHY) or a rather more interesting electrical signalling system (C-PHY) to transfer data. I'm pretty sure that Xilinx FPGAs can't handle C-PHY without a converter, so you're left with the LVDS-based D-PHY.

With regards to FMC - ideally you go and buy the FMC standard, but otherwise there's some documentation available about how the connector is wired (and most FPGA development kits include a schematic showing which FMC pins connect to which BGA pins). Then you need to do a lot of research into LVDS PCB design - it's a complicated topic.

Visitor ygtcmz
Visitor

Jump to solution

dear @u4223374 ;

Thank you for your information. I will look up to these topic. In the other hand, you show me where i should begin.

0 Kudos