UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor skhaled
Visitor

Artifact when scaling down with VPSS

Hello

I am using  VPSS to scale down 720x1280 Video to variable size to drive LED screen panels, with 16bits color depth,

however I am getting colored artifacts on the LED screen see photo pls, these artifacts disappear when I enable VDMA but cause a decrease in the throughput and video slags, and I don't want to use VDMA anyway as consume lot of resources.

any idea what causes these colored artifact?

cheers

20180808_105607[1].jpg
vivado.PNG
0 Kudos
7 Replies

Re: Artifact when scaling down with VPSS

Hi @skhaled,

I assume you are talking about the line and black pixels? I am not sure what the original image looks like so it is hard to tell what is incorrect with this one.

However, based on your description it sounds like the VDMA is acting as a buffer which fixes a starving/overflow issue in your system.

I would check your throughput characteristics of you video pipe and make sure that when you are scaling that your throughput is correct. This check is done by making sure all slaves can handle the data that they are being sent and that all masters are providing a sufficient amount of data so that the video transmitter does not run out of data.

Regards,

Sam

Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

Xilinx Video Design Hub

@skhaled,

If this is not your issue, please post the original (correct) image. 

Regards,

Sam

Xilinx Video Design Hub
0 Kudos
Visitor skhaled
Visitor

Hi Sam

the original video (see pic bellow) would look very smooth, the black dot are just dead leds the artifact is those RGB threads from top to bottom.

the point is that when I enable more features (resampler, vdma) these artifacts fade out and I get smooth colors,

is problem with delay between RGB channels?

cheers

20180810_154804[1].jpg
0 Kudos

Hi @skhaled,

Because you do not want to use the VDMA, I will not look at why it is slowing down your throughput.

Looking at the VPSS artifacts, which Algorithm are you selecting? Bilinear, Bicubic, or Polyphase?

2018-08-10 11_29_44-Xilinx Documentation Navigator 2017.2 -  http___www.xilinx.com_support_documenta.png

-Sam

Xilinx Video Design Hub
Visitor skhaled
Visitor

Hi Sam

I am using Polyphase algorithm with 12 taps

the algorithms give worse results.

thanks

scaller.PNG
0 Kudos

HI @skhaled,

What is your input color space? Are you doing any color space conversion with the VPSS in addition to scaling?

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos

HI @skhaled,

Do you have any update?

If your question is answered or your issue is solved, please mark the response which helped as solution (click on the button "Accept as solution" below the reply)

If this is not solved/answered, please reply in the topic giving more information on your current status.

Best Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos