UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Voyager
Voyager

Artix 7 xc7a200 receive HD-SDI using GTP and 100MHz PCIe ref clock

Jump to solution

Hello I'm working with Vivado 2018.2 and Artix 7 xc7a200tfbg484-2. On my board I have only one reference mgt clock that is 100MHz PCIe clock. With this I can recover SD-SDI using DRU but i would want to know if is there a way to receive HD-SDI 1,485Gb/s using this clock. Looking at 7 series FPGA tranceiver wizard it seems that this not possibile. Infact selecting  1,485Gb/s as line rate it is possibile to select various values ​​of reference clock but 100MHz is not present. Is there a way to do what I want or it is impossible? Thank you.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Artix 7 xc7a200 receive HD-SDI using GTP and 100MHz PCIe ref clock

Jump to solution

To add to what Dr Smith is alluding to here...

while it is technically possible to route a fabric clock to the GT refclk, you should never do this. It might work okay for test/prototype on an empty design, but as the design fills up and there is more core switching noise causing excess jitter in the clock and things start to break down.

SDI has very specific refclk requirements that must be met. If you only need some subset of the standards supported (or only need Rx), you can get by with only 1 refclk instead of 2, but the freq is set to 74.25 or 148.5 MHz (with a second required for the 74.25/1.001 and 148.5/1.001). Refer to relevant xapps/user guides.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp1097-smpte-sdi-a7-gtp.pdf

www.xilinx.com
7 Replies
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

If the tool wont let you select it, Im 99.( % certain your out of luck 

Its the limitation of the multiplier thats used to generate the internal clock, it can "only" do n/m , and only over a certain range of frequencies and integers,

You might be able to take the 100 into one pll on the fpga, generate say 125 MHz from that( or what ever frequency you need ) , an d feed that into the refclk you need

but its a long shot, jitter build up , routing etc

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick reply. So maybe I could feed mgt PLL using not ref clock but an internally generated clock but probably this clock could not have the required specifications and so I have to do same test to see if it could work. Isn't it? Thank you.   

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

Yep you will need to experiment, 

but I'd say its low chance of success, 

please let us know how it goes,

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

To add to what Dr Smith is alluding to here...

while it is technically possible to route a fabric clock to the GT refclk, you should never do this. It might work okay for test/prototype on an empty design, but as the design fills up and there is more core switching noise causing excess jitter in the clock and things start to break down.

SDI has very specific refclk requirements that must be met. If you only need some subset of the standards supported (or only need Rx), you can get by with only 1 refclk instead of 2, but the freq is set to 74.25 or 148.5 MHz (with a second required for the 74.25/1.001 and 148.5/1.001). Refer to relevant xapps/user guides.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp1097-smpte-sdi-a7-gtp.pdf

www.xilinx.com
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Thanks for the help. I'll try to see what happens and than I'll let you know.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

HI @pierlum,

I believe your question has been answered by @drjohnsmith and @bwiec. Could you kindly close the topic by marking on of their reply as accepted solution (click on accept as solution below the topic while logged in).

Thanks and Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Thanks for the help. I have to do other things so I left this project pending. If I'll complete it in the future I'll let you now. Thanks for the help.