UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

CSI2 RX embedded non-image interface: how to synchronize metadata with frames

Jump to solution

Hi,

I need to extract metadata from CSI2 stream, for this I need to enable the embedded non-image interface in the CSI2-RX IP core. Since the embedded non-image uses a separate axi stream interface from the video, my idea is to use an AXI DMA IP to write the metadata to DDR and use video frame buffer write IP for the video so that I can read both the frame and metadata from ram. However, I'm confused how I can know which metadata relates to which frame? Since the Axi DMA and video frame buffer read IP use different interrupt port, it seems difficult to synchronize them.

Anyone has any idea on this? Is there an example usage of the embedded non-image interface?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: CSI2 RX embedded non-image interface: how to synchronize metadata with frames

Jump to solution

Hello @xinyiz 

Thank you for sharing your ILA waveform. I do not see any issue in this waveform.

TUSER will be asserted for each Embedded Data and Video Data ( for each VC ).
In this case, your embedded data TUSER is asserted after MIPI CSI-2 receives FS short packet from your sensor. In the other hands , video data TUSER is asserted at the timing of first Video data output.
In your waveform Embedded Data TVALID is not asserted because there is no Embedded data receives yet. The embedded data output (with TVALID=1) is belong to "This Frame" until the next TUSER=1 is asserted.

I do not see any issue to synchronize Video/Embedded data.

Thanks & regards
Leo

Please note:
You may see video data TUSER asserted for multiple clocks, It may not impact your design.
Fixed for this behavior is planned for next Vivado release.

FS_for_Video_and_Embedded.png
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: CSI2 RX embedded non-image interface: how to synchronize metadata with frames

Jump to solution

Hello @xinyiz 

MIPI CSI-2 meta/embedded data for each frame should be trasnfered between FS packet and FE packet of that frame,
So, after video_out_tuser[0] is asserted, every embedded data output is belong to that Frame. (until the next frame video_out_tuser[0] is asserted)

Regards
Leo

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Thanks, Leo.

I understand, the video and metadata output from CSI receiver must be synchronized, but the question is how should the downstream blocks synchronize these two? as they are from different ports and different IP block has different latency.

Any example on the usage?

Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi @karnanl 

Here attached the snapshot of what is outputting on the video interface and embedded non-image interface. It seems that the TUSER[0] of the embedded non-image interface is asserted before the video stream.

waveform_csi_metadata.png

Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello @xinyiz 

Thank you for sharing your ILA waveform. I do not see any issue in this waveform.

TUSER will be asserted for each Embedded Data and Video Data ( for each VC ).
In this case, your embedded data TUSER is asserted after MIPI CSI-2 receives FS short packet from your sensor. In the other hands , video data TUSER is asserted at the timing of first Video data output.
In your waveform Embedded Data TVALID is not asserted because there is no Embedded data receives yet. The embedded data output (with TVALID=1) is belong to "This Frame" until the next TUSER=1 is asserted.

I do not see any issue to synchronize Video/Embedded data.

Thanks & regards
Leo

Please note:
You may see video data TUSER asserted for multiple clocks, It may not impact your design.
Fixed for this behavior is planned for next Vivado release.

FS_for_Video_and_Embedded.png
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @xinyiz 

If your question is answered or your issue is solved, please kindly mark the response which helped as a solution (click on "Accept as solution" button below the reply).

If this is not solved/answered, please reply in the topic giving more information on your current status.

Thanks and Regards,

Aoife
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**