UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor spacenick88
Visitor

Can't synthesize with Video Test Pattern Generator even with license. Get 'module not found' error

Hi all,

I'm trying to build a simple video pipeline on an Enclustra Mercury ZX1 board (Zynq 7000 based) and wanted to start with simply getting a test pattern video into Linux. I'm working off the the reference design with VHDL as default HDL and it works well without the video pipeline. However as soon as I add the Video Test Pattern generator to my design (via Add IP in the block design) I can't synthesize (or even elaborate) anymore as I get module not found errors for the the instantiated Video Test Pattern generator.

[Synth 8-285] failed synthesizing module 'MercuryZX1_v_tpg_0_0'
["c:/Users/xxxxx/Documents/zynq-7000/Mercury_ZX1_Reference_Design_PE1/Vivado_PE1/MercuryZX1_PE1.srcs/sources_1/bd/MercuryZX1/ip/MercuryZX1_v_tpg_0_0/synth/MercuryZX1_v_tpg_0_0.v":57]

I can validate the design however and that did pickup earlier errors I had with different clock sources but after fixing those shows no errors.
I've googled but only found the following thread where a special script is used.

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Vivado-TCL-Community/Video-Test-Pattern-Generator-IP-brakes-the-script-flow/td-p/672370

I've already installed the license for the Test Pattern Generator and the customize IP wizard is editable. I'm using Vivado 2015.4
I suspect it has something todo with the VTPG being designed using HSL but I'm not sure and would appreciate any pointers.
If needed I'd be willing to provide further design sources.

Also I tried looking into the VTPG's example design but that needs the BFM Cores for AXI which seem to need a special license.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Can't synthesize with Video Test Pattern Generator even with license. Get 'module not found' error

Hello,

First, make sure that you have a license for the TPG. Starting with v7.0, you need to download an install a license (though it is free).

Once you do that (and have verified that vivado is picking up the lic), run this tcl command:

reset_project

Warning: This command will delete all generated files inside the project. Most cases this is fine, but just be aware.

Then try to re-synth.

www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Visitor spacenick88
Visitor

Re: Can't synthesize with Video Test Pattern Generator even with license. Get 'module not found' error

Hello,

thanks for the quick reply. I checked the licensing and version status via "Report IP Status" and it's marked as purchased. Also I can edit the customization wizard. I also saw more regenerations after running reset_project. However when synthezing I still get the errors:

Vivado Commands
synth_design -rtl -name rtl_1 -rtl_skip_ip

[Synth 8-439] module 'MercuryZX1_v_tpg_0_0_v_tpg' not found ["c:/Users/xxxx/Documents/zynq-7000/Mercury_ZX1_Reference_Design_PE1/Vivado_PE1/MercuryZX1_PE1.srcs/sources_1/bd/MercuryZX1/ip/MercuryZX1_v_tpg_0_0/synth/MercuryZX1_v_tpg_0_0.v":151]

[Synth 8-285] failed synthesizing module 'MercuryZX1_v_tpg_0_0' ["c:/Users/xxxx/Documents/zynq-7000/Mercury_ZX1_Reference_Design_PE1/Vivado_PE1/MercuryZX1_PE1.srcs/sources_1/bd/MercuryZX1/ip/MercuryZX1_v_tpg_0_0/synth/MercuryZX1_v_tpg_0_0.v":57]

[Synth 8-285] failed synthesizing module 'MercuryZX1' ["C:/Users/xxxx/Documents/zynq-7000/Mercury_ZX1_Reference_Design_PE1/Vivado_PE1/MercuryZX1_PE1.srcs/sources_1/bd/MercuryZX1/hdl/MercuryZX1.vhd":4741]

[Synth 8-285] failed synthesizing module 'system_top' ["C:/Users/xxxx/Documents/zynq-7000/Mercury_ZX1_Reference_Design_PE1/Vivado_PE1/MercuryZX1_PE1.srcs/sources_1/imports/src/system_top_PE1.vhd":155]

[Vivado_Tcl 4-5] Elaboration failed - please see the console for details

Synthesis
[Synth 8-439] module 'MercuryZX1_v_tpg_0_0_v_tpg' not found ["c:/Users/xxxx/Documents/zynq-7000/Mercury_ZX1_Reference_Design_PE1/Vivado_PE1/MercuryZX1_PE1.srcs/sources_1/bd/MercuryZX1/ip/MercuryZX1_v_tpg_0_0/synth/MercuryZX1_v_tpg_0_0.v":151]

[Synth 8-285] failed synthesizing module 'MercuryZX1_v_tpg_0_0' ["c:/Users/xxxx/Documents/zynq-7000/Mercury_ZX1_Reference_Design_PE1/Vivado_PE1/MercuryZX1_PE1.srcs/sources_1/bd/MercuryZX1/ip/MercuryZX1_v_tpg_0_0/synth/MercuryZX1_v_tpg_0_0.v":57]

[Synth 8-285] failed synthesizing module 'MercuryZX1' ["C:/Users/xxxx/Documents/zynq-7000/Mercury_ZX1_Reference_Design_PE1/Vivado_PE1/MercuryZX1_PE1.srcs/sources_1/bd/MercuryZX1/hdl/MercuryZX1.vhd":4842]

[Synth 8-285] failed synthesizing module 'system_top' ["C:/Users/xxxx/Documents/zynq-7000/Mercury_ZX1_Reference_Design_PE1/Vivado_PE1/MercuryZX1_PE1.srcs/sources_1/imports/src/system_top_PE1.vhd":155]

[Common 17-69] Command failed: Synthesis failed - please see the console or run log file for details

I also checked again that the design synthesizes without errors when I just remove the Video Test Pattern Generator with everything else equal. I also tried readding it. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Visitor spacenick88
Visitor

Ok so what I have found with further investigation is the following. If I add the VTG from IP Catalog directly to the block design synthesis fails, however when I click on "Customize IP" and the VTG isn't added into the block design but as a separate design synthesis for this produces more output files including what looks like a VHDL file with encrypted netlist data. It runs without errors. I'm still struggeling with adding this to the block design though so that I can actually connect this with the other components in the video pipeline.

Also interesting is that in the source hierarchy view the separate VTG seems to have a valid "inst" while for the one in the block design there is a red question mark icon.

0 Kudos
Visitor spacenick88
Visitor

Alternatively is there a way to add the old pre HLS version? I really only need a very basic Test Pattern Generator

0 Kudos

Were you able to find a resolution for this?

0 Kudos
Visitor spacenick88
Visitor

Yes in another thread someone found out that the TPG fails to synthesize on Windows if the filesystem paths to it are too long

Visitor heyitsyou
Visitor

hi,it seems that I met the same problem,so would you like to share your solution?
0 Kudos

Hi @heyitsyou,

Please create a new post, share your log and as much information as possible on your design (tool version? checked TPG license (VLM view)? OS? log file ...)

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Visitor heyitsyou
Visitor

Vivado Version: vivado 2017.2
IP Version: TPG 7.0 (hls)
Problem Description:There were 6 TPGs in my block design. After validation , I start "Generate Output Product(Out of context per IP /number of jobs:8)", all the other IPs in block design finished production, but the 6 TPGs just stalled there with log shows:
*** Running vivado
with args -log design_1_v_tpg_0_0.vds -m64 -product Vivado -mode batch -messageDb vivado.pb -notrace -source design_1_v_tpg_0_0.tcl****** Vivado v2017.2 (64-bit)
**** SW Build 1909853 on Thu Jun 15 18:39:09 MDT 2017
**** IP Build 1909766 on Thu Jun 15 19:58:00 MDT 2017
** Copyright 1986-2017 Xilinx, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
source design_1_v_tpg_0_0.tcl -notrace
They stalled all night long woth no Errors or Critical Warnings, the process of "Running Multiple block runs" is still running! Could you guys help me with this strange problem?
0 Kudos