UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scholar watari
Scholar

Capabilities of VCU in MPSoC/EV

Jump to solution

Hi all

I'm investigating about capabilities of VCU in MPSoC/EV series.

Can anyone tell me the following question ?

[Question]

Q1) Do MPSoC/EV series have a capabitities for decoding 16 video streaming data ?

Q2) If Q1's answer is yes, how do I calculate or estimate frame rate ?

Q3) If Q1's answer is no, I guess the capabilities of VCU (decoding video streaming) are 8 video streaming. Can I decode other 8 video streaming by software ? If yes, could you share example code or like application note ?

Best regards,

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Capabilities of VCU in MPSoC/EV

Jump to solution

Hi @watari,

Q1) Do MPSoC/EV series have a capabitities for decoding 16 video streaming data ?

[Florent] - No you can decode only 8 streams simultaneously. And the total bandwidth of these 8 streams have to be in the same bandwidth as 1 4K@60 (ex. you can do 8 * 1080p30 or 8*720p60 ). However, if you have no real time constraint, you can always decode the streams one by one or 8 by 8.

[Florent] - The total BW of the 8 streams need to be in the 4K@60 BW

Q3) If Q1's answer is no, I guess the capabilities of VCU (decoding video streaming) are 8 video streaming. Can I decode other 8 video streaming by software ? If yes, could you share example code or like application note ?

[Florent] - You could decode by software but I am not sure what performance you will get. You might be able to find other IPs to decode in the PL.

Hope that helps,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
3 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi @watari,

[Florent] - No you can decode only 8 streams simultaneously. And the total bandwidth of these 8 streams have to be in the same bandwidth as 1 4K@60 (ex. you can do 8 * 1080p30 or 8*720p60 ). However, if you have no real time constraint, you can always decode the streams one by one or 8 by 8.

[Florent] - The total BW of the 8 streams need to be in the 4K@60 BW

[Florent] - You could decode by software but I am not sure what performance you will get. You might be able to find other IPs to decode in the PL.

Hope that helps,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi @florentw

Thank you for your explanation.

Got it.

We will consider EV device and an investigation about VCU.

Best regards,

Thanks a lot.

Visitor elahi
Visitor

Jump to solution

I think now you can simultaneously decode 32 streams (aggregate BW of 4k@60 fps)with the new vcu-ctrl-sw.

32streams.PNG
0 Kudos