UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant srdjan.opacic
Participant

DP RX Subsystem FIFO overflow

Hi,

I'm running DP RX subsystem with 150 MHz output clock. Output from DP is native interface, vsync, hsync, etc... On a single DP source (optical link receiver, resolution 4k@60Hz) I get scrambled data on output (bad hsync vsync waveforms, not just bad pixels), and mostly Timing FIFO overflow (register 0x110 in DP receiver is 0x100=, but sometimes all 3 FIFOs are overflowing, (register 0x110 is 0x111). Is this a possible data stream misalignment, or overflow due to too slow clock? What is the recommended clock for DP output when working with 4k resolution?

Thanks

Srdjan

0 Kudos
17 Replies

Re: DP RX Subsystem FIFO overflow

HI @srdjan.opacic ,

I believe a 150MHz clock should be enough for 4K60.

For 4K60, the pixel clock is ~555MHz. If you devide by 4 lanes you get ~140Mhz.

You can also MVID and NVID to generate the video clock. This is what should be done in the example design.

Just adding that the PG recommend to use a clock up to 200MHz if you have fifo issue:

displayport.JPG

Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
Scholar watari
Scholar

Hi @srdjan.opacic 

How do you generate pixel recovery clock with Mvid and Nvid for native video interface ?

If your architecture is generated pixel recovery clock independently, it occurs FIFO overflow or underflow.

Also, FIFO overflow is related to video timing.

What video timing do you use ? VESA reduced blanking ? or other ?

Best regards,

Participant

I'm using various timings on input (depending on use case), my idea was to use a fixed clock for output from DP. My understanding was that in that case I simply always get data_valid which is intermittent during one line - which is fine by me. Am I wrong?

The timing in question (which produces error) is a custom modification - but speaking generally, I would like to have a solution which can adapt to any timing.

Best regards

Srdjan

0 Kudos
Participant

Update - MVid = 32359, NVid = 32768. We use line rate for clock reference in this calculation, right? In our case it is 5.4 Gbps.

0 Kudos

@srdjan.opacic wrote:

I'm using various timings on input (depending on use case), my idea was to use a fixed clock for output from DP. My understanding was that in that case I simply always get data_valid which is intermittent during one line - which is fine by me. Am I wrong?

[Florent] - This will be the case but you would need a clock which is fast enough.

The timing in question (which produces error) is a custom modification - but speaking generally, I would like to have a solution which can adapt to any timing.

Best regards

Srdjan

Florent
0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Hi @srdjan.opacic 

I assume that you want to use native video interface.

If you want to resolve only FIFO overflow issue without native video interface, I strongly suggest you to follow @florentw 's opinion.

If you want to use native video interface, you can choose the solution from the followings.

Plan 1) Reproduce recovery pixel clock with Mvid and Nvid and trcking variety Mvid and Nvid with reconfiguration of flactional PLL. (Refer VESA DisplayPort document.)

Plan 2) Reproduce recovery pixel clock with Mvid and Nvid without tracking. But you have to close reproduced clock frequency as much as possible. Also prepare enoguh large FIFO.

Plan 3) Use well known resolution. Horizontal, vertical and clock frequency are same as it. But active timing are different.

Update - MVid = 32359, NVid = 32768. We use line rate for clock reference in this calculation, right? In our case it is 5.4 Gbps.

BTW, if you want to confirm it, you have to share horizontal and vertical timing. These information are very important for DP.

Best regards,

Participant

Hi @florentw ,

I'm waiting on results for 200 MHz, if this helps I could keep it as a permanent solution (althoughj it will increase power consumption).

Thanks

Srdjan

0 Kudos
Participant

Hi @watari ,

One thing is not clear to me - if I have clock sufficiently fast, how can I get overflow in FIFOs? Is it something inherent to the native interface? I'm asking because I assumed native interface doesn't require a precise clock, just sufficiently fast one. If this is not the case, I probably should move from native to AXIS interface - it is just that this means rewriting a lot of logic.

Thanks

Srdjan

0 Kudos

Hi @srdjan.opacic ,

200Mhz is the maximum tested. If this works, I am sure you can try to decrease it to find the lower frequency working between 150 and 200Mhz

Florent
0 Kudos

HI @srdjan.opacic ,

If you have a clock which is fact enough, you shouldn't get a FIFO overflow. But you need to be 100% sure that the clock is fact enough.

I am not sure about the size of the FIFO but they might not be big enough to wait the blanking period if your clock is not precise enough

Florent
0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Hi @srdjan.opacic 

First of all, sorry, I can NOT explain previous my explanation in DETAIL. Because it has some know-how for me.

Threfore I can only explain funtamental things.

> I assumed native interface doesn't require a precise clock, just sufficiently fast one.

As @florentw  already mentioned, if you have enough FIFO size, it works fine without any FIFO error. ex. empty and/or full issue.

However, in fact you are facing FIFO issue.

This means that you need to consider accumulated inaccuracy between ideal pixel clock frequency and real pixel clock frequency.

It causes FIFO overflow or empty issue.

So, I suggest you to implement clock tracking mechanism or to prepare enough large FIFO.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Participant

Hi @watari ,

This overflow happens inside IP, so I cannot influence the size of FIFO. Output from DP IP is not stalled, outputted at maximum speed. So, besides increasing the clock speed, there is not much that I can do :(.

Anyway, increasing the clock speed to 200 MHz decreased the probability of error drastically, but not removed it entirely. My customer also found several monitors which also have problems with this DP source :(. It seems that the source is simply problematic, no matter what we do.

Regards

Srdjan

0 Kudos
Participant

Hi @florentw ,

I increased clock to 200 MHz, I'm 100% sure that this should be sufficient in reference to the line data rate. The probability of error decreased drastically, but it still happens occasionally. my customer also found some monitors which also have problems with this DP source - I have to assume that in the end, the source itself is problematic, causing occasional overflows in the FIFO allocated to the lane 1. I never saw any overflows on other lanes.

if there are no other options in IP that I can try, I guess I'm oput of options, do you agree?

Regards

Srdjan

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Hi @srdjan.opacic 

If there is this matter in elastic buffer, I suggest you to make sure the following.

- Confirm Mvid, Nvid value. I suggest you to use DP protocol analyzer or ILA or software.

- Confirm SSC. If SSC is enable, I suggest you to turn off SSC on DP Source device.

- Make sure video timing. Is it suitable for DP Sink ? Enough elastic buffer size ?

Best regards,

0 Kudos

Hi @srdjan.opacic ,

Yes, if the source is having issue, then it will be difficult to fix the issue inside your design. You would need to make more investigation to check that this is related to the FIFO and not a signal quality.

Regards,

Florent
0 Kudos

HI @srdjan.opacic ,

Is everything clear for you on this topic?

If your question is answered or your issue is solved, please kindly mark the response which helped as solution (click on "Accept as solution" button below the reply)

If this is not solved/answered, please reply in the topic giving more information on your current status.

Thanks and Regards,

Florent
0 Kudos
Participant

Hi @florentw ,

I'm still waiting on feedback from customer, sorry. I'll update this thread as soon as possible.

Best regards

Srdjan

0 Kudos