UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Decoupling HDMI RX and HDMI TX video streams

Jump to solution

I am using a KC705 board and the Inrevium HDMI board.  My ideal use model would be to receive a 4K 60Hz video stream via the HDMI RX channel and transmit 4K 30Hz video on the HDMI TX Channel.  I have modified the Passthrough example design so that the RX and TX ports are available to the FPGA fabric instead of connected together inside the block design. 

My question: Is it possible to take the Pass-through Example design which shares the PHY and set the RX to be 60Hz and the TX to be 30Hz.  The TX seems to follow what is detected on the RX or set via the resolution menu prompt but I don't see a way to set one different than the other.

An alternative idea is to use RX only design and a TX only design thus decoupling the two (presumably each has its own microblaze processor and PHY).  Things to consider is that each of the PHYs would need to reside in the same GTX bank in order to connect to the inrevium HDMI board.  Also the i2c port would need to be able to communicate with both processors thus requiring each to occupy different address space.  Can I put both PHYs in the same bank given one would use transmit GTX and the other would use the RX GTX?

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to achieve this given the use of KC705 board and Inrevium HDMI board which makes using separate banks impossible?

Thank you,

Kerry

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Decoupling HDMI RX and HDMI TX video streams

Jump to solution

@kmwilliams

If you enableAXI4-Stream interface of TPG, you can connect the video from the FPGA fabric to it.

TPG has two modes :

- Passthrough mode

- ColorBar mode.

In Passthrough mode, you can pass the video input straight through the video output of TPG. To make passthrough mode working, you

• Need to set BACKGROUND_PATTERN_ID (0x0020) Register 0x00 - Pass the video input straight through the video output
    • Need to set Enable_input(0x0098) Register
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi @kmwilliams,

use Video DMA (VDMA) IP to "convert" input 60Hz down to 30Hz, so the input video stream is written on the external DDR then read at the frame per second you want.

You will need to set the VDMA and the Tx video format according to video resolution and 30Hz output.

Regards

Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response.  My question is more about the HDMI IP itself. How do I get the HDMI to RX 60Hz video and output it to the FPGA fabric and the HDMI TX to take 30Hz video from the FPGA fabric and output it to a monitor?  In my modified version of the HDMI example design I can have the HDMI RX receive 60Hz video and I can have the TX transmit 30Hz from the TPG within the HDMI IP but I can't get RX to do 60Hz to the fabric and TX 30Hz from the fabric.  Pass-through mode does not allow changing the video parameters  and configures both RX and TX to the RX detected parameters (i.e. 60Hz) and TPG mode does not allow video from the fpga fabric as it muxes out the TPG video.  I have in the past removed the TPG altogether from the HDMI IP block design so only my video from the FPGA fabric can be output via the TX IP.  However, this operates  as if it is pass-through mode and I am unable to change the video parameters.  Is there someway to alter the block design hardware and/or SDK to set configuration of the TX to 30Hz while maintaining the 60Hz RX?

Thank you,

Kerry

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

@kmwilliams

In HDMI example application, you can define LOOPBACK_MODE_EN 1, and then TX timing is independent from RX timing.

Jump to solution

Hi @kmwilliams,

Was the replies from @xud or @auricm helpful?

If your question is answered or your issue is solved, please kindly mark the response which helped as solution (click on "Accept as solution" buton below the reply)

If this is not solved/answered, please reply in the topic giving more information on your current status.

Thanks and Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

I finally got a chance to try the loopback_mode_en = 1 suggestion and that worked as suggested.  However, I am only able to view the TPG.  I need to be able to select the video I am driving into the HDMI IP from the FPGA fabric. My design feeds the RX output into the FPGA fabric and I drive various video sources from the fpga fabric into the TX side. I tried the (p - Pass-through
   => Passes the sink input to source output.) option that works when loopback_mode_en = 0.  If loopback_mode_en = 0, I can toggle back and forth between the HDMI IP TPG and my fpga fabric source video by toggling the menu between c and p.  This does not work with loopback_mode_en = 1.

Kerry

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

@kmwilliams

If you enableAXI4-Stream interface of TPG, you can connect the video from the FPGA fabric to it.

TPG has two modes :

- Passthrough mode

- ColorBar mode.

In Passthrough mode, you can pass the video input straight through the video output of TPG. To make passthrough mode working, you

• Need to set BACKGROUND_PATTERN_ID (0x0020) Register 0x00 - Pass the video input straight through the video output
    • Need to set Enable_input(0x0098) Register
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @kmwilliams,

Is the replies from @xud and @auricm enough for you?

If your question is answered or your issue is solved, please kindly mark the response which helped as solution (click on "Accept as solution" button below the reply)

If this is not solved/answered, please reply in the topic giving more information on your current status.

Thanks and Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos