UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Display Image from FPGA

Hi ,

I am new to Image processing and Display protocols. I am currently working on AC701 Kit, FPGA has MIPI interface with a Image sensor, which outputs the data in Monochrome RAW-10 bit format with 120 Fps. I need to display this Monochrome image on the PC monitor through HDMI. How do I do that? Please can any one explain the exact procedure.

Regards,

Shashidhar.B

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: Display Image from FPGA

Hi @bs903666,

You want to use the on-board HDMI connector right?

-> You need to control the on-board ADV7511 via i2c and then send the data to it. It will convert the signals. Start with a Test Pattern Generator first to try to display something on the display. Then, when it is working, use the input from the sensor.

You can use the reference design (HW+SW) from the xapp742 (link) (on KC705) as reference and adapt it to the AC701.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Florent

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi,

Thanks @Florent for the reply. I have following doubts!!

It is a Monochrome or BW image and sensor data format is RAW10. How to extract the RGB components required by HDMI protocol? Can any one explain the procedure?

-- Shashidhar

0 Kudos

Hi @bs903666,

Just to be clear: You cannot do a color image from a BW sensor (because you don't have any color information).

What you can do is display a BW image on a RGB  monitor (using HDMI).

A BW image is an image with only one layer (only one info per pixel) while a color image is (usually) a 3 layers image (3 info per pixel: R + G + B for RGB images). So what you need to do is copy the value 3 times to create 3 layers instead of one (send 3 times the same value).

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Florent

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi @florentw,

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply. I got it.

Regards,
Shashidhar

0 Kudos