UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DisplayPort Rx link time to video flowing

Jump to solution

I am using a Kintex 7 325T device (using Vivado/SDK 2018.1) in a production environment where the FPGA sources HDMI video into our device under test (DUT) where the video flows through our DUT and ultimately comes back out of the DUT as DisplayPort video so I also have the FPGA receive the DP Video stream.   We are having trouble with the test time associated with linking the DisplayPort to the FPGA.   It seems the DP RX code I grabbed from an example design links, then waits for some fixed number of frames before allowing the video stream to begin flowing out into the AXI Stream video out of the DP Rx block.

I am wondering if anybody has had any success in updating the driver code to make the DisplayPort linking any faster?   Right now we are having to wait 5 to 6 seconds for the link, where in reality we should be able to get the video flowing in less than 100ms.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Tim

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: DisplayPort Rx link time to video flowing

Jump to solution

I do notice I can speed it up by changing the expected vblank_count in the static void Dprx_InterruptHandlerVBlank interrupt handler.   Can somebody explain to me why I would not want to use a smaller number here?   Before I changed it to 20 it was set to 200.

dprx1.png

Thanks.

Tim

0 Kudos
8 Replies

Jump to solution

If I use a Unigraf DPA-400 Auxiliary sniffer it appears that total linking time is only about 100ms, so I am wondering where the rest of the time is going in the driver code before it allows video to flow.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I do notice I can speed it up by changing the expected vblank_count in the static void Dprx_InterruptHandlerVBlank interrupt handler.   Can somebody explain to me why I would not want to use a smaller number here?   Before I changed it to 20 it was set to 200.

dprx1.png

Thanks.

Tim

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi @tim_severance

Do you need to consider compatibility ?

If no, I suggest what you do.

However, if yes, I strongly suggest keeping this code.

Best regards,

Jump to solution

@watari,

Thanks for the response.   When you say compatibility, do you mean that it should work with many different DisplayPort TX sources?   For me I only use a single DP Tx source so compatibility may not be an issue for me.

Thanks.

Tim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi @tim_severance

How many PCBs do you build ?

How many DP Tx sources (include kind and number of DP Tx) do you consider ?

If this answer is very small number and/or a limited, I suggest your modified source code.

If other, because of this is an industrial product, at least I'm sure that you need to consider tolerant.

Of cause, if you consider the number of "vblankcounter" by cut-and-try, it's fine and I agree it.

Best regards,

Jump to solution

HI @tim_severance,

I would agree with @watari.

The code from the example design is the best we got to have a broader compatibility (based also on user feedback/corner cases). It is maybe not the most optimized code for some specific application but it is working.

I guess some part of the code are only "tweaks" which were only used in some cases so might be hard to explain. I am quite sure you can optimize the code for your specific application.

Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

Jump to solution

Hi @tim_severance,

What is your status on this topic? Was the replies enough for you?

If your question is answered or your issue is solved, please kindly mark the response which helped as solution (click on "Accept as solution" button below the reply)

If this is not solved/answered, please reply in the topic giving more information on your current status.

Thanks and Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

Jump to solution

@florentw,

Sorry, the reduction works in my setup since in our production setup we only link DisplayPort to a single sink.   

Thanks. 

Tim