UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer ankitsohni
Observer

Does Video Codec Unit present inside Zynq Ultrascale+ series uses OS for H.264/H.265 compression ?

Jump to solution

Hi,

1) I am reviewing vcu present inside Zynq Ultrascale+ series for one of the applications that require H.264/H.265 compression and decompression of HD/3G-SDI video without use of OS. Does encoder/decoder present inside the VCU is using OS  ?

2) It is possible to fully control both encoder and decoder of vcu using PL side without involving any control signals from PS side?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Voyager
Voyager

Re: Does Video Codec Unit present inside Zynq Ultrascale+ series uses OS for H.264/H.265 compression ?

Jump to solution

While it may be possible to operate the VCU without using a processor, it was not designed with that use case in mind. 

I found the following after a quick glance at PG252:

"VCU operation requires the application processing unit (APU) to service interrupts to coordinate data transfer. The encoder is controlled by the APU through a task list prepared in advance, and the APU response time is not in the execution critical path."

Here is a link to PG252:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/vcu/v1_1/pg252-vcu.pdf

I'm sure the tasks handled by the processor could be handled with a state machine in the PL, but the level of complexity might make it unattractive.  If power is the issue, you might look at using one of the R5 processors instead of an A53.

Ted Booth - Tech. Lead FPGA Design Engineer
www.designlinxhs.com
4 Replies
Voyager
Voyager

Re: Does Video Codec Unit present inside Zynq Ultrascale+ series uses OS for H.264/H.265 compression ?

Jump to solution

While it may be possible to operate the VCU without using a processor, it was not designed with that use case in mind. 

I found the following after a quick glance at PG252:

"VCU operation requires the application processing unit (APU) to service interrupts to coordinate data transfer. The encoder is controlled by the APU through a task list prepared in advance, and the APU response time is not in the execution critical path."

Here is a link to PG252:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/vcu/v1_1/pg252-vcu.pdf

I'm sure the tasks handled by the processor could be handled with a state machine in the PL, but the level of complexity might make it unattractive.  If power is the issue, you might look at using one of the R5 processors instead of an A53.

Ted Booth - Tech. Lead FPGA Design Engineer
www.designlinxhs.com

Jump to solution

HI @ankitsohni,

Just to clarify @tedbooth which is really good:

Xilinx currently only supports the use of Linux OS for the VCU. I do not think PL direct programing will be ever enabled.

You might want to discuss with your FAE to see if one of our partner has a soft IP which can fit your needs.

Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

HI @ankitsohni,

Was the reply from @tedbooth enough from you?

If your question is answered or your issue is solved, please kindly mark the response which helped as solution (click on "Accept as solution" buton below the reply)

If this is not solved/answered, please reply in the topic giving more information on your current status.

Thanks and Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Observer ankitsohni
Observer

Jump to solution

Thanks for clarification.

0 Kudos