UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

EDID eeprom is mandatory for HDMI2.0 implementation in board ?

Jump to solution

Dear All,

In this app note (XAPP1287 HDMI 2.0 Implementation on Kintex-7 FPGA GTX Transceivers), there is an EDID (Extended Display Identification Data) eeprom in the FMC board. Edid itself looks very useful to describe a display monitor capabilities to a video source. But in a board application(HDMI in and out interfaces in the a board with zynq), is this EDID eeprom is really mandatory ? As a result,  HDMI input on my board is not a display monitor input. If I use this EDID eeprom in my own design, what data should I write to this EDID eeprom ? Maybe can I write my board HDMI input capabilities ? I have checked the this app note fpga project and FMC board schematics. RX Subsystem IP DDC port is not connected to the this EDID eeprom, and also HDMI sink(in) connector DDC port is not also connected to the EDID eeprom. But another I2C bus is connected to EDID eeprom, and same I2C bus goes to clock PLL IC and HDMI retimer IC on FMC board.  I am confused about the necessity and function of EDID eeprom in a HDMI2.0 in/out implementation in a board. 

Thank you,

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar watari
Scholar

Re: EDID eeprom is mandatory for HDMI2.0 implementation in board ?

Jump to solution

Hi @doner_t

> Maybe DDC lines coming from HDMI (Rx) sink connector could reach to that EDID eeprom with a software handling. I dont know this. But in a classical HDMI application, should this DDC line coming from HDMI (RX) sink side connector connected to the EDID eeprom directly ? 

DDC line on HDMI is used to EDID and HDCP. Also, these addresses are different.

In this case, if you used DDC line as only EDID, I suggest to connect HDMI (Rx) sink side connector to the EDID eeprom directly.

Of cause, you can connect other devices on IIC line. Because of the address of EDID and HDCP is defined by VESA and so on.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi @doner_t

I think that it is case by case.
For example, video signal generator, like this URL (http://www.astrodesign.co.jp/english/product/vg-873), doesn't use EDID to negotiate capability between HDMI source and HDMI sink.

However, if you don't use EDID, no one know capability on HDMI sink.
So, it might be occurred PLL issue, CDC's FIFO issue, line memory issue and so on.

Of cause, due to store EDID parameter on eeprom and use it, it might work fine. But you need to take care of this parameter. I recommend to follow CEA/EIA-861 and/or CVT from Vesa as EDID's parameter.

Best regards,

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Dear @watari,

Thank you for your reply. 

If that EDID eeprom is directly connected to the HDMI (RX) sink side connector DDC line, then, it would be more suitable and meaningful for me. But it is connected to the another I2C bus in the design.  Maybe DDC lines coming from HDMI (Rx) sink connector could reach to that EDID eeprom with a software handling. I dont know this. But in a classical HDMI application, should this DDC line coming from HDMI (RX) sink side connector connected to the EDID eeprom directly ? 

Thank you,

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi @doner_t

> Maybe DDC lines coming from HDMI (Rx) sink connector could reach to that EDID eeprom with a software handling. I dont know this. But in a classical HDMI application, should this DDC line coming from HDMI (RX) sink side connector connected to the EDID eeprom directly ? 

DDC line on HDMI is used to EDID and HDCP. Also, these addresses are different.

In this case, if you used DDC line as only EDID, I suggest to connect HDMI (Rx) sink side connector to the EDID eeprom directly.

Of cause, you can connect other devices on IIC line. Because of the address of EDID and HDCP is defined by VESA and so on.

Best regards,

0 Kudos