UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor josh97
Visitor

Extending Video Series for HDMI to Zedboard

I have been going through the Video Series tutorials, and they have been quite useful. I've been trying to implement Video Series 19-21 for a Zynq Zedboard. Since the articles were written for a ZC702, I had to change the constraints file after going through the HDMI section in the Zedboard User Guide. So the hardware design has been made compatible with the Zedboard. But Zedboard does not seem to have the same I2C bus as the ZC702, so I'm not sure how to modify the SDK code to configure the AV5711 for the Zedboard. I could not find any mention of an I2C bus in the Zedboard User Guide. So can you please let me know how I can modify the SDK code in Video Series 20 (which was originally written for ZC702) so that it is compatible with the Zedboard? Pointing me to the right resources would also help. Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Extending Video Series for HDMI to Zedboard

Hi @josh97 ,

I know @ronnywebers was trying to do the same:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Video/Video-Beginner-Series-20-porting-to-Zedboard/m-p/923459#M233017

I am note sure if he succeeded but from my point of view, there shouldn't be too many changes. But of courses you will need to do changes in both the HW and the SW to match the ZedBoard configuration.

One change that I see is that the I2C is not connected to the PS but to the PL. Thus you might need to implement an AXI IIC in your vivado design and change the SW code accordingly.

Hope that helps,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Visitor josh97
Visitor

Thanks for the reply @florentw . I did see that I need to do that as well but have not found any specific reference design for using an AXI IIC for HDMI. @ronnywebers has not replied on his progress regarding the matter. I am still very new to this so I'm not able to make much progress myself, because I am not sure how to integrate the AXI IIC into the block design smoothly and make it work.

I did find a project by Hamsterworks (http://hamsterworks.co.nz/mediawiki/index.php/Zedboard_HDMI_v2) that makes it work from the PL side, and I tested it as well. I have not used AXI IIC before so I am looking at how I can send the same I2C signals from PS and how I can merge it into the block design. 

I also looked into the AnalogDevices reference design (https://wiki.analog.com/resources/fpga/xilinx/kc705/adv7511) for HDMI but I hit a bug in their SDK code and could not resolve it. Still working on it.

0 Kudos

Hi @josh97 ,

You could potentially look at the xapp741 which is using a Microblaze processor on KC705. It is using the AXI IIC for programing the ADV7511. This might be a good reference as well.

Regards,

Florent
0 Kudos

Hi @josh97 ,

Do you have any updates on this? Were you able to make it work? If yes it would be nice if you could share back your project with the comminity.

Regards,

Florent
0 Kudos
Visitor josh97
Visitor

Sorry for the delay. I was not able to make it work. I am now working on something else, and a colleague is taking this up. If he makes it work I will get the solution from him and post some pointers here on how he got it to work. It will probably take some time.