UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor wfzhangtong
Visitor

FPGA Accelerating RTSP and H.264 video decode

Jump to solution

I want to decode RTSP and H.264 video with FPGA accelerating.
My development board is z-turn 7010 that base on ZYNQ-7000 SoC XC7Z010.
I think there are 2 ways:
  1. use a H.264 decode FPGA IP
  2. use SDSoC accelerating my software code (ex. ffmpeg) by add relevant funtions to hardware functions list
Which way is reliable and simple?

Which IP for way 1?

Is there better way?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: FPGA Accelerating RTSP and H.264 video decode

Jump to solution

Hi @wfzhangtong,

Both way should be reliable (it depends on your algorithm for SDSoC though). But I would recommend using an IP as you know it is working in HW.

For the simple side, it depends on which field you are more comfortable, SW or HW?

Which IP for way 1?

We have few partners for H.264 decoder soft IPs as coreEL, PathPartner, IBEX and SOC Technologies. See the Audio & Video Codec page information on our partners for codec IPs.

Is there better way?

Did you thought about using a Zynq MPSoC EV with a harden VCU? It might be more expensive than using a Zynq-7000 but might be a solution to consider. You might want to discuss this with one of our authorized distributor.

Hope that helps,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
Tags (2)
1 Reply

Re: FPGA Accelerating RTSP and H.264 video decode

Jump to solution

Hi @wfzhangtong,

Both way should be reliable (it depends on your algorithm for SDSoC though). But I would recommend using an IP as you know it is working in HW.

For the simple side, it depends on which field you are more comfortable, SW or HW?

Which IP for way 1?

We have few partners for H.264 decoder soft IPs as coreEL, PathPartner, IBEX and SOC Technologies. See the Audio & Video Codec page information on our partners for codec IPs.

Is there better way?

Did you thought about using a Zynq MPSoC EV with a harden VCU? It might be more expensive than using a Zynq-7000 but might be a solution to consider. You might want to discuss this with one of our authorized distributor.

Hope that helps,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
Tags (2)