UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

HDMI 2.0 TX Core loses Lock intermittenly, and only sometimes...

Jump to solution

I have a custom design using a KU035 FPGA, and I have two HDMI 2.0 Transmitters in the design. I am using the HDMI cores in AXI-Streaming mode, and converting my custom 1080p30 video to an AXI-Stream using the VTC and Video-in to AXI-Stream components.   I am running the HDMI outputs at 1080p30.  My Microblaze subsystem is based on the TX-only reference design.  Also my HW design is based on the Example Design as well, I have the same PLL, same HDMI re-drivers, etc. 

Most of the time, everything works fine.  

But occasionally, something doesn't startup correctly.   One of the HDMI TX components will go in and out of Lock.  I connected the LOCK signals out of the HDMI IP to LEDs.    My question is, what would cause the HDMI IP Lock signal to toggle like this?  Input AXI-Stream not the correct format?    Could it be a timing issue, but odd that it would only happen sometimes.  Since there is no visibility into the HDMI component, I am kind of stuck.

Below is the block diagrams of the HDMI system, along with a detailed block diagram attachment. 

If there was something in regards to how these come out of reset that could cause an issue, I can try to adjust it, etc.  Right now, the HDMI subsystem comes out of reset after the input Video to this Subsystem is valid.  Is this the proper way to bring this out of reset, or should bring the HDMI subsystem out first? 

Thanks for any help or guidance.  example_two_streams.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: HDMI 2.0 TX Core loses Lock intermittenly, and only sometimes...

Jump to solution

@jechambe-koe

Normally if the Video timing info(eg. Vsync, hsync, de) doesn't match with the timing detected from Video Stream interface (from D1_Video_In), it loses lock.

The other thing to check if TX REF clocks are stable, Si5324_LOL_IN is always LOW.

Can you use following API to print out the log file, so we can have more idea on this?

XV_HdmiTxSs_LogDisplay(&HdmiTxSs);

XVphy_LogDisplay(&Vphy);

Also you can use the API below to check if color information and clock parameters are correct at TX side :

XV_HdmiTxSs_ReportInfo(&HdmiTxSs);

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

@jechambe-koe

Normally if the Video timing info(eg. Vsync, hsync, de) doesn't match with the timing detected from Video Stream interface (from D1_Video_In), it loses lock.

The other thing to check if TX REF clocks are stable, Si5324_LOL_IN is always LOW.

Can you use following API to print out the log file, so we can have more idea on this?

XV_HdmiTxSs_LogDisplay(&HdmiTxSs);

XVphy_LogDisplay(&Vphy);

Also you can use the API below to check if color information and clock parameters are correct at TX side :

XV_HdmiTxSs_ReportInfo(&HdmiTxSs);

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @jechambe-koe,

If everything is clear for you on this subject, please kindly mark a reply as solution to close the topic. Else please reply to the topic

Thanks and Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

I haven't responded yet because don't have a definitive answer on what fixed it.  I changed how the HDMI subsystem with the Microblaze came out of reset in my FPGA design, and it started to work consistently. 

I haven't gone back and added the extra commands to the SW, but if the problem happens again, I will do this.  I guess I can close it now as I don't see the issue.   But probably as soon as I close it, it will start to happen again. :)

Thanks.

Jechambe

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @jechambe-koe,

If it happen again you can create a new topic, we will still be here to reply ;-)

Or you can post on the same topic (and you should be able to unmark accepted solution).

Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi @jechambe-koe,

I've the same problem, some time when I plug the output cable the video clock lose the lock and never lock again.

Could you be so kind to show me how you solve this problem?

Thank you

Regards

0 Kudos