UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDMI 2.0 Transmiter (v3.1) FPS limitations

Jump to solution

I have an application that calls for 120FPS on a Kintex Ultrascale+ or MPSOC+ device. The HDMI documentation lists only 1920x1080p 4:4:4 support for 120FPS. The driver lists a 2560x1080p 4:4:4 120FPS. HDMI 2.0 should support 2560x1440 at 120Hz and even 3840x2160 at 120FPS using 4:2:0.

Are there known limitations (bits per second, pixels per second, or frames per second) in the IP with supporting 120FPS as long as the HDMI link supports the required bandwidth?  I assume one can add a custom timing to the driver table.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: HDMI 2.0 Transmiter (v3.1) FPS limitations

Jump to solution

@andrew.hansford

If the pixel clock is supported by CPLL or QPLL, You can make it work by adding your custom resolution, we have documented more details in AR : https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/71965.html

For details on how to calculate the pixel clock, please refer to clocking section (page 45 and onwards) of https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/v_hdmi_tx_ss/v3_1/pg235-v-hdmi-tx-ss.pdf

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi @andrew.hansford

> Are there known limitations (bits per second, pixels per second, or frames per second) in the IP with supporting 120FPS as long as the HDMI link supports the required bandwidth?

Yes.

BTW, what the HDMI Sink ? Also, do you need to consider compatibility ?

If yes, I strongly recommend CEA video timing.

You can find target video timing in CEA video timing table.

Best regards,

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

>Yes.
>BTW, what the HDMI Sink ? Also, do you need to consider compatibility ?
>If yes, I strongly recommend CEA video timing.
>You can find target video timing in CEA video timing table.

Thanks for your reply. Are you saying the IP can only support the modes and timings in CEA-861-G And not other common timings (like 2560x1440p at 120Hz)?

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi @andrew.hansford

> Are you saying the IP can only support the modes and timings in CEA-861-G And not other common timings (like 2560x1440p at 120Hz)?

If you consern compatibility in HDMI world, this answer is yes.

If you don't concern it, the limitation is band width and pll working range at HDMI sink.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

@andrew.hansford

If the pixel clock is supported by CPLL or QPLL, You can make it work by adding your custom resolution, we have documented more details in AR : https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/71965.html

For details on how to calculate the pixel clock, please refer to clocking section (page 45 and onwards) of https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/v_hdmi_tx_ss/v3_1/pg235-v-hdmi-tx-ss.pdf

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @andrew.hansford,

Do you have any updates on this? Were the answer provided enough for you?

If your question is answered or your issue is solved, please kindly mark the response which helped as solution (click on "Accept as solution" button below the reply)

If this is not solved/answered, please reply in the topic giving more information on your current status.

Thanks and Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

The custom resolutions should work fine.  These seems to be the same issue machines had driving 2560x1440 monitors over HDMI.  That resolution is not officially in the CEA specification. I also noticed that Xilinx has announce an HDMI 2.1 Transmitter which I expect to support 120Hz at 3840x2160.

Thanks 

0 Kudos