UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDMI Example project display Rx timing debug info

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am working with an HDMI Rx/Tx example project on a KC705 in Vivado 2017.4 and I am trying to debug some custom HDMI source issues using this KC705 example design.

Is there a way in this example design to display the received timing info (i.e. front porch, back porch, total horizontal, total verifcal, vsync pulse width etc)?   If so this would really help me out until I can get some HDMI test equipment purchased.

Below is the main menu from the example project I am using:

---------------------
---   MAIN MENU   ---
---------------------
i - Info
       => Shows information about the HDMI RX stream, HDMI TX stream,
          GT transceivers and PLL settings.
c - Colorbar
       => Displays the colorbar on the source output.
r - Resolution
       => Change the video resolution of the colorbar.
f - Frame rate
       => Change the frame rate of the colorbar.
d - Color depth
       => Change the color depth of the colorbar.
s - Color space
       => Change the color space of the colorbar.
p - Pass-through
       => Passes the sink input to source output.
l - GT PLL layout
       => Select GT tranceiver PLL layout.
z - GT log
       => Shows the GT transceiver log information.
e - Edid
       => Display and set edid.
a - Audio
       => Audio options.
v - Video
       => Video pattern options.
h - HDCP
       => Goto HDCP menu.
t - HDCP
       => Goto HDCP Test menu.

Thanks.

Tim

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: HDMI Example project display Rx timing debug info

Jump to solution

@florentw,

Sorry, I still have the issue, but do not have time to focus on this at the moment.

I have a HDMI design that uses a in-house custom designed video data/timing generator that doesn't seem to work with some HDMI sinks, but the example design does.   I was hoping the information from the "i" would give me a clue as to what is different about the non-working source versus a working source but they both give the same information.

I am assuming that once the sink is connected to the source the front porch and back porch are not actually measured in real time, but they are reported as what is expected for a given resolution/fram-rate setting.

I am now waiting for a purchase of an HDMI signal analyzer.

Thanks.

Tim

5 Replies
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Jump to solution

2 possible methods come to mind.  First is to connect the signals of interest to testpoint outputs on your board, and then look at those signals with an oscilloscope.    If this is infeasible, then you could implement counters to measure the values of interest, and examine the counter values by connecting them to an ILA core (Vivado Debugger), reading them out via JTAG.

Or you can probe the register values in the video timing core, documented here: 

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/v_tc/v6_1/pg016_v_tc.pdf

You'll have to modify the microblaze code so you can get it to dump the registers for you.   A little C programming is good for the soul, they say. 

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.
0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi @tim_severance

Would you refer CEA video timing or VESA CVT video timing ?

These timing formula and methodology are well known in consumer TV and PC market.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

@tim_severance

Please provide log file after you use "z" and "i" menu. "i" prints out the timing information including back porch and front porch. "z" provides the interrupt events occurred in HDMI RX,TX and Video PHY. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @tim_severance,

Do you have any updates on this?

If  everything clear for you on this subject, please kindly close the topic by marking one reply as accepted solution.

Thanks and Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@florentw,

Sorry, I still have the issue, but do not have time to focus on this at the moment.

I have a HDMI design that uses a in-house custom designed video data/timing generator that doesn't seem to work with some HDMI sinks, but the example design does.   I was hoping the information from the "i" would give me a clue as to what is different about the non-working source versus a working source but they both give the same information.

I am assuming that once the sink is connected to the source the front porch and back porch are not actually measured in real time, but they are reported as what is expected for a given resolution/fram-rate setting.

I am now waiting for a purchase of an HDMI signal analyzer.

Thanks.

Tim