UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

HDMI: Minor glitches across the output and RX path issues

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm working on an HDMI design based on the  Xilinx linux ZCU102 pass through example design. 

I'm observing minor glitches (white lines in the video) with a board and suspect the issue has to do with the HDMI RX side.

Also, In another board, HDMI RX data is not being received properly. I don't see the HDMI_hb helper core status toggling.

In working board, I do see this helper core status output (for RX path) toggling and design works fine at 4K 60fps. I have ensured that the hardware settings in both working and non working boards are kept same. 

Is it possible to change/tune the vphy controller parameters and solve this problem?

Regards,

Vinay Shenoy

Vinay Shenoy
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: HDMI: Minor glitches across the output and RX path issues

Jump to solution

@vinay_shenoy was able to make it working by changing the HDMI RX Re-driver equalization settings for the custom boards.

7 Replies
Scholar watari
Scholar

Re: HDMI: Seeing minor glitches across the output

Jump to solution

Hi @vinay_shenoy

Can you share this issue as a picture or a short movie ?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi @watari,

I will try to upload the picture of the glitch issue soon.

Do you have any inputs on the RX path issue?

Regards,
Vinay

Vinay Shenoy
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @vinay_shenoy,

In addition to the video requested from @watari, can you also add:

1. The resolution when you see the issue.
  2. The series of FPGA?(7/us/us+) Is this a custom board or a development board?
  3. Is there any reporting/status from the RX software that may indicate an issue?
  4. What version of the core/tools are you using? (2017.4/2018.1/2018.2) 

Thanks,

Sam

Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

Xilinx Video Design Hub
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

@vinay_shenoy

I work offline on this issue with Vinay,

He has probed the HDMI RX cable clock (RX reference clock to VPHY ) and notices it stops and recovers for every 16sec or so. This is observed with 4K 60fps input.

He has confirmed that the RX HPD output will not toggle during the issue and remains asserted high.

In the meantime, the same clock remains stable with 4K 30fps input and the design works fine.

Is there anything in the design that could effect the reference clock to stop at certain times?

Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

At which point do you measure the clock? It normally indicates the quality of clock or HDMI cable. 

Video PHY has RX clock detection module, if the clock range is outside of the tolerance range, it won’t consider RX clock as a stable clock. 

Also you need to check if there is some problem with retimer on your board. What do you have on board between the RX TMDS clock from RX cable and the clock driven to FPGA? Please probe both clocks, and see if there is issue with retimer.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

@vinay_shenoy was able to make it working by changing the HDMI RX Re-driver equalization settings for the custom boards.

Jump to solution

Hi @vinay_shenoy,

As this issue is now solved for you, could you kindly close the topic by marking a reply as accepted solution?

Thanks and Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos