UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

HDMI and DisplayPort with microblaze

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm working on a Kintex Ultrascale custom board with HDMI and Displayport IP, I setup the whole system with microblaze, both receiver IP work properly without problems, the tx section of both IP have problems.

I started the desigh using only HDMI (tx/rx) to fix and debug the board, then I added the Displayport IP (tx/rx), now most of the time I power the board the tx sections do not work, as I connect the HDMI or a DisplayPort monitor I see from microblaze that the stream is UP (HDMI) or I see that the link status ok (lanes configured correctly and UP) but no video output in both cases, in displayport case I see that after a while the lane setup starts again and again.
Moreover, if I connect to my board a displayport and a HDMI monitor (at the same time) and I power the board, microblaze configure both IPs, then when activate the interrupts first serves the HDMI tx, then the displayport... both succesfully (from the debug point of view) but no video in the output, then when Displayport start to setup again his lanes, also the HDMI output tell me that I disconnected the monitor but it's still connected.

So I think that there's something that mess up with the interrupts or the configuration of the IPs, I've already faced a bad interrupt configuration so I've already check interrupt connections and numbers assigned, now I'm unable to findout what can produce this behaviour, if the board at power up start working correctly, then it never stop working properly.

Any hints are welcome

Thank you

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: HDMI and DisplayPort with microblaze

Jump to solution

HI @auricm 

If possible, try to get a KC705 + DP FMC card  (try to contact your FAE) and do some test using the example design.

I am not sure what issue you are experiencing with 4ppc but I would solve this one and use 2019.1. The driver is more reliable

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

View solution in original post

27 Replies
Mentor watari
Mentor

Jump to solution

Hi @auricm 

> but no video output in both cases, in displayport case I see that after a while the lane setup starts again and again.

It seems DP sink issue retry operation via HPD port and the cause is unlocked or losted a frame.

BTW, did you make sure EDID on HDMI and/or DP sink device and consider it to output correct video signal ?

Also, did you implement suitable redriver or retimer on your custom board and correctly control it ?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi @watari ,

I follow EDID settings to output a video, I've proper redriver on board and it works properly, I used what xilinx uses in his boards so I use xilinx driver to setup those, I think that is something related to the startup of the board or something related to the initialization of transceiver, but I can't figure out how it happens.

Regards

0 Kudos
Mentor watari
Mentor

Jump to solution

Hi @auricm 

What version do you use ?

Is it latest version ?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi @watari 

I'm using Vivado 2018.2 with relative SDK, Video PHY v2.2, HDMI Tx/Rx subsystem IP v3.1, DP Tx subsystem IP v2.1; as I know the IP are the latest

Regards

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

HI @auricm 

Please use 2019.1. The IP revision might not change but there are still bug fixes between versions and the drivers are also updated.

So if you want the most reliable version, it will always be the latest.

Then please not that Xilinx never caracterized combinations of connectivity IPs in a single processor. Thus you are responsible to make sure the microblaze will be fast enough to handle all the interrupts.

My recommendation is to start with separated microblaze and merge them when eveything runs as expected.

Regards

Florent
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi @florentw,

thank you for your reply, the thing I don't understand is why sometimes it works and sometimes no, that's what makes me mad.

I started with a single microblaze and single IP (HDMI and DP), thant after debug I put all together.

I will try with newer version of Vivado

Regards

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

HI @auricm 

thank you for your reply, the thing I don't understand is why sometimes it works and sometimes no, that's what makes me mad.

> This might be because multiple interuupts are happening at the same time. So some action cannot be executed in the correct time. You might need to change some interrupts to make them happen faster (and do more in the application to check) or change the priority of some interrupts (however I am not sure how to do it).

Regards

Florent
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi @florentw ,

I think that is not due to an interrupt, I mean, if I power the board, without any monitor connecter the microblaze sets the HDMI and DP core, at the end I enable the interrupts but nothing happens until I connect a monitor.

Even if I connect only a HDMI monitor, sometimes it works sometimes no, so I think the problem comes form a different point.

Regards

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @auricm 

Can you refer to AR#59294? You need to make sure the CPLL are held into reset if nothing is connected. This can lead to power issues if not.

If you refer to the latest example design, this should be implemented (in the example application not in the driver) when a cable unplugged is detected.

Not sure if this is the issue but it would only help to make sure you have this.

PS. Note that I will be on holiday for 2 weeks so I might no reply back to this topic.

Regards

Florent
Mentor watari
Mentor

Jump to solution

Hi @auricm 

I forgot it.

As @florentw mentioned before, unfortunetly single core's microblaze doesn't have a capability for high responce, when the design has over two high critical mission.

So, in this case, at lease you must imprement two microblaze for each protocol. (HDMI and DP)

It's in my experience.

Would you try it ?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi @watari ,

thank you for your hint, I know that microblaze is not a good choice to serve many cores at the same time but I also think that HDMI and DP are critical only in the connect/disconnect stage.
Anyway even if I disable DP interrupts the HDMI is not always working and viceversa, so there's something that happen at the configuration or at power up; I also tried to keep CPLL in reset state until there's a cable connected but it not solved the situation.

From Video Phy seems everything is ok and also in HDMI logs, the stream is up but no video is coming out.

When the board after power up is not generating any output, even in debug with sdk, it will never work also downloading the microblaze application again and again.

I check all board power rails and I haven't noticed failures or problems.

Regards

0 Kudos
Mentor watari
Mentor

Jump to solution

Hi @auricm 

What resolution do you use ?

I suggest you to follow the followings to debug HDMI.

1. 1920x1080@60Hz

2. 3840x2160@30Hz

3. 3840x2160@60Hz

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi @watari 

I tried all the resolution you suggested but the same problem, if the board start working il will work with all resolutions, otherwise it will not work.

regards

0 Kudos
Mentor watari
Mentor

Jump to solution

Hi @auricm 

How about the following resolution ?

- 720x480@60Hz

- 1280x720@60Hz

If it work fine for these resolution, I suggest you to make sure quality of clock and eye pattern on three TMDS signals.

[Add]

Would you make sure HPD signal, too ?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi @watari,

it is not related to the resolution or TMDS eye or HPD, TMDS eye and HPD are fine, when there's no output video the the clock is present and TMDS lines are switching but without video information.

Regards

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi @florentw 

I updated the project to Vivado v. 2019.1 (upgraded all IP without touch the microblaze code), now the HDMI seems to work (I will keep testing it), no way to make work the displayport.

regards

0 Kudos
Mentor watari
Mentor

Jump to solution

Hi @auricm 

Can you confirm TMDS clock frequency, pixel clock frequency and VIC value on HDMI Rx ?

Best regards,

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @auricm 

Please also update the code referring to the example applications and the drivers. 

Also for displayport, does it fails during training? If yes do you know at what stage?

It would be helpful to have an AUX log here

Regards 

Florent
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi @florentw , @watari 

thank you for your hints, I tried the same project with vivado 2018.2 and 2019.1, the last version takes 1h more (synt + implementation) so I went back to 2018.2.

I check again all the reference clock and I found that during power up the external frequency synthetizer sometime locks in a wrong frequency so this seems to be the problem with HDMI and Displayport, but sometimes also after restart the synthetizer with the right frequency there's no way to make run the video again.

The Displayport in version 2019.1 seems to have problems when setting up the AXIS interface, now I get it work with 2 pixel/clk but unable to make it work 4pixel/clk, so I'm unable to generate 4K video.

Another problem is that Displayport sometime fails to set up the lane count and link rate and then it will never set up correctly until next power down/power up even plug and unpluggin is not working.

Regards

0 Kudos
Mentor watari
Mentor

Jump to solution

Hi @auricm 

>I check again all the reference clock and I found that during power up the external frequency synthetizer sometime locks in a wrong frequency so this seems to be the problem with HDMI and Displayport, but sometimes also after restart the synthetizer with the right frequency there's no way to make run the video again.

It might help you to make sure loop filter for PLL...

>Another problem is that Displayport sometime fails to set up the lane count and link rate and then it will never set up correctly until next power down/power up even plug and unpluggin is not working.

If it's DP Rx, what source device do you use ?

If it's DP Tx, what sink device do you use ?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi @watari ,

I followed the datasheet for the PLL loop filter... so I hope it's ok.

Rx subsystem of HDMI and DP are ok and always worked properly, I'm talking about the displayport Tx, I'm using a 4K LG monitor

Regards

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

HI @auricm 

If possible, try to get a KC705 + DP FMC card  (try to contact your FAE) and do some test using the example design.

I am not sure what issue you are experiencing with 4ppc but I would solve this one and use 2019.1. The driver is more reliable

Florent

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

HI @auricm 

Did you do any porgress on this?

Florent
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi @florentw 

I'm still working on the problems, at the moment I'm sure about external clock reference, and pretty sure that the cores are working properly as HDMI and DisplayPort are working if I use them separately. The microblaze has "problems" on serving multiple fast interrupts when I put all together but I can manage this lack of speed; at the same time without getting errors from the SDK I noticed that if I add some code sometimes the microblaze stop working as expected, like it's messing up with modules address, a simple GPIO start reading shifted values (this is what seems to me, maybe the problem is different but the result is that I cannot read anymore a PLL lock bit so I get stuck waiting for it). I'm trying investigate on that.

Anyway I tried also upgrade to 2019.1 but no success at all, I upgrade all fifos and IP present on the design and modify all upgraded functions in the driver but I get more errors and also HDMI in the last implementations start to make lines on the screen sometimes it stops and starts again the video like a video buffer empty but I sure it can't be as the IP is directly connected to a VDMA with 5 times the requested bandwidth (tested). I need to close the design as soon as possible and so I will keep working on 2018.2, them if I will have time I will try upgrade again. I noticed in the code that many things changed

Thank you for your support

Jump to solution

HI @auricm 

Do you have any update on this? were you able to make progress?

Florent
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @auricm 

If your question is answered or your issue is solved, please kindly mark the response which helped as a solution (click on "Accept as solution" button below the reply).

If this is not solved/answered, please reply in the topic giving more information on your current status.

Thanks and Regards,

Aoife
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi @florentw  @aoifem  @watari 

I managed to make it work, basically I upgraded the project to Vivado 2019.2, the HDMI driver seems to be more reliable and stable, a few problems with DP so I keep working on that.

regards