UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer mustafaghanim
Observer

HDMI output constraints of ZCU104, how to connect with AXI Stream Video Out

Jump to solution

I am trying to implement a Test Pattern Generator application with Microblaze in the target device ZCU104. I output my video data through AXI4-Stram to Video Out IP and I tried to understand HDMI Tx outputs for this device. Writing xdc file for theses outputs seems more complciated than I thought, how should I connect the vid_data [23:0] output to observe my pattern at HDMI output?

The general  constraints file for ZCU102 which is very similar to ZCU104 is uploaded. 

Edit: The Block Design of my project is added after including the HDMI TX Subsystem and AXI IIC as well.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: HDMI output constraints of ZCU104, how to connect with AXI Stream Video Out

Jump to solution

HI @mustafaghanim 

Please read PG235 chapter 5 for this. The example design build the BD and is not under petalinux...

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @mustafaghanim,

I am a little confused on what you are trying to accomplish. Are you trying to debug the output of the TPG? Are you trying to debug the output of the bridge core (AXI4-Stram to Video Out IP)? Are you trying to debug the output of the HDMI TX core?

If you are debugging the TPG or bridge core, I would suggest debugging these internally using ILAs. I am not sure that outputting these from the FPGA to the fabric is feasible due to finding enough available IO pins. (I have not double checked)

If you are debugging the HDMI TX core, I would suggest using a monitor/HDMI Analyzer/loopback into the FPGA and debug using an HDMI RX.

If I have not understood your question correctly, please add more information to help.

Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

Xilinx Video Design Hub
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

HI @mustafaghanim 

From my understanding you are trying to use the AXI4-Stream to Video Out to connect on the HDMI connector of the ZCU104?

If this is correct, this is not gonna work. The HDMI corrector is connected to the GTs of the device. Thus you would need to use the Video PHY and HDMI TX Subsystem. Note that you are required to buy a license in order to use the HMDI TX subsystem but you can generate an evaluation license for free if you need to evaluate it (will have a timeout in the HW after few hours).

Regards

Florent
0 Kudos
Observer mustafaghanim
Observer

Jump to solution
I am trying to observe the TPG output ( video pattern) through AXI-4 AXI-4 Stream to Video Out to my HDMI supporting screeen. However, this seems not simple as I had thought. I am planning to use Vivado SDK example of "Tx Only" that uses communication with IIC. I have added HDMI Tx Subsystem for this purpose. However, I am currently stuck at the point where I should connect my HDMI outputs at the Block Design to the real hardware pins in ZCU104 FPGA pins.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @mustafaghanim 

Did you try with the ZCU104 TX only (both Vivado example design and HDMI TX only application)?

You might want to refer to PG235 chapter 5 for this

Florent
0 Kudos
Observer mustafaghanim
Observer

Jump to solution

I think we have got the licence for HDMI IPs. I have included my block design with the HDMI Tx Subsystem. For a simple and constant frequency of 148.5 MHz which is synthized in my Clock Wizard, what method should I follow to connect HDMI Tx and Video PHY with my ZCU104 HDMI output unit which consists of the following ports:

Sketch.png

Moreover, I could not find really useful tutorials related to ZCU boards for Block Design with Vivado and HDMI . I cannot use PetaLinux at the cuurent moment. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

HI @mustafaghanim 

Please read PG235 chapter 5 for this. The example design build the BD and is not under petalinux...

Florent

View solution in original post

Observer mustafaghanim
Observer

Jump to solution
Thank you so much. This could be really helpful to learn more about HDMI in Block Design
0 Kudos