UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hilbert Transform connected to an FFT

I have audio data coming out of an ADC.

I wanted to use a Xilinx FPGA to run it through a FFT and I noticed that Xilinx has a FFT ipcore available in their CORE Generator that I believe I can use. The input requires a real part and an imaginary part, but I only have the real part [the data coming off the ADC]. So I decided to use a Hilbert Transformer to take the data from the ADC and turn it into the required real and imaginary parts for the FFT. But when I create the Hilbert Transformer in CORE Generator, the output for the Q part is [34:0] while the output for the I part is [15:0]. The docs have this to say:

Filter input data is supplied on the DIN port (N bits wide) and filter output samples are presented on the DOUT port (R bits wide). The output width R is the sum of the data bit width N, the coefficient bit width K, and the bit growth due to the number of coefficients. ... For Hilbert transform filter implementations, a pair of In-Phase/Quadrature data outputs is provided. The In-Phase data output is N bits wide, as it is a delayed version of the input data, while the Quadrature data output is R bits wide, calculated as described previously.

But the input for the FFT that I create in CORE Generator is [15:0] for both the I and Q parts. So how can I connect the output of the Hilbert Transformer to the input of the FFT?

What am I missing? Thanks.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Hilbert Transform connected to an FFT

You could either zero extend the data so that they match.  You can also input just real data to the FFT and tie the imaginary to zero if you don't need it.
0 Kudos