UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

How the VCU's reference clock is configured?

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm trying to get the VCU to work on zcu104 board,

The document pg252 seems vague about the reference clock of the VCU PLL input.

There is a "CORE Clk(MHz)" option to set the core clk frequency in the config wizard.

I indeed can set it to 667 to maximize the performance, but according to the pg252,figure 7-1, this clk come from the vcu pll, which have the input "pll ref clk":

Screenshot from 2019-04-18 12-07-31.png Screenshot from 2019-04-18 12-10-31.png

The doc says " The range of the PLL reference clock is 27 to 60 MHz " and nothing more. 

But as far as I know, the pll output is proportional to the pll input, what the internal logic controls is only the proportion, as given in the doc:

Fvco = Frefclk × M

Fclkout = Fvco / O

But the input is not fixed according to the doc, and I did not see how the VCU PLL knows the input frequency value.

Only I saw @sebo in This post mentioned the TRD used 33.333Mhz as the pll_ref_clk frequency.

And I found someone mentioned device tree in this QA .  but I did not see detailed information in pg252 for device tree setup.

then how do user get Fclkout that he wants and set the pll_ref_clk correctly?

Regards,
Kang
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Contributor
Contributor

Re: How the VCU's reference clock is configured?

Jump to solution

I exported the hdf file and generated a petalinux project, configured the project with the hdf (the information is located in a hwh file inside the hdf),

after build the kernel, I guess the generated device tree pl.dtsi have the information which is used in linux vcu driver:

Screenshot from 2019-04-18 15-27-44.png

Hi @sebo,

FYI

Regards,
Kang
2 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

hi @hu_kang 

Just to mention that I've also used the VCU with a ref clock input at 50MHz, and in some other tests a clock from the PS (<-- which is not recommended).

--Sebastien
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

I exported the hdf file and generated a petalinux project, configured the project with the hdf (the information is located in a hwh file inside the hdf),

after build the kernel, I guess the generated device tree pl.dtsi have the information which is used in linux vcu driver:

Screenshot from 2019-04-18 15-27-44.png

Hi @sebo,

FYI

Regards,
Kang