UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to store video on SD CARD from CSI-2 signals ?

Jump to solution

Hello everyone,

I am working on the ULTRA96 development board which has an Ultrascale+ FPGA embedded and I would like to store videos on a SD CARD from CSI-2 camera (Raspberry pi camera). I already know that I need an IP to get CSI-2 signals on my FPGA but after that I don't really know what needs to be done. I suppose I have to encode my data to be able to record it but I don't really know how to do it.

Does anyone know how to do it ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar watari
Scholar

Re: How to store video on SD CARD from CSI-2 signals ?

Jump to solution

Hi @corentin.meneau 

That sounds grate.

But how to encode H264 by hardware ?

It's no problem, if you already consider it as encoding software or using VCU.

BTW, here is my solution.

Would you refer it ?

Plan A)

Encode CSI signal by VCU or other encoder unit -> Deal with encoded video data by V4L2 on linux -> Store video data 

Plan B-1)

Covert CSI signal to AXI4Stream -> Store stream data by VDMA into frame buffer -> Read stream data from frame buffer -> Store stream data into SD Card by using sector number -> After that convert sector data to file by "dd" command on linux. => Convert raw data to H264 by ex. ffmpeg or libavcodec on linux.

Plan B-2)

Covert CSI signal to AXI4Stream -> Store stream data into SD Card by using sector number -> After that convert sector data to file by "dd" command on linux. => Convert raw data to H264 by ex. ffmpeg or libavcodec on linux.

Best regards,

6 Replies
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

you might want to think about the data rate of the camera data and the SD card,

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi @corentin.meneau 

How do you deal with stored data ? For file by file system or stored data as raw data by sector unit ?

You need to consider it, too.

Best regards,

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply. Someone already told me that but it's hard to find exactly which data rate I have in all parts of my system. I suppose after the video codec the data flow will drecrease drastically.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

File by file seems good to me. I would like to store video in h264 format. I think it will be easier to read stored videos on a computer after. What do you think ?

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi @corentin.meneau 

That sounds grate.

But how to encode H264 by hardware ?

It's no problem, if you already consider it as encoding software or using VCU.

BTW, here is my solution.

Would you refer it ?

Plan A)

Encode CSI signal by VCU or other encoder unit -> Deal with encoded video data by V4L2 on linux -> Store video data 

Plan B-1)

Covert CSI signal to AXI4Stream -> Store stream data by VDMA into frame buffer -> Read stream data from frame buffer -> Store stream data into SD Card by using sector number -> After that convert sector data to file by "dd" command on linux. => Convert raw data to H264 by ex. ffmpeg or libavcodec on linux.

Plan B-2)

Covert CSI signal to AXI4Stream -> Store stream data into SD Card by using sector number -> After that convert sector data to file by "dd" command on linux. => Convert raw data to H264 by ex. ffmpeg or libavcodec on linux.

Best regards,

Jump to solution

That's perfect ! This is exactly what I was looking for.

To encode H264 I have found some IPs which are able to do that from AXI4 signals but I will probably use your first solution because I am not sure yet but I am not sure to still use ULTRA96 board but instead the MPSoC module from Trenz Electronic with the Zynq UltraScale+ ZU4EV which already have a VCU embedded.

Thanks a lot for your help.

0 Kudos