UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Image compression

Jump to solution

Hello!

Shortly,I have a picture I want to compress ( 640x480 image) that is currently on the rgb-24 bit format.

Are there any peripherals used to compress an image in vivado ?

I would be very glad if you could give me some tips regarding image compression.

regards,

John

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

Re: Image compression

Jump to solution

@azurath So you want to use this picture in your design? What board are you using? 

There are numerous ways to accomplish this.

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
I will not answer to personal messages - use the forums instead.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

Jump to solution

@azurath So you want to use this picture in your design? What board are you using? 

There are numerous ways to accomplish this.

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Xilinx doesn't have any IP for image compression . You can check with third party IPs .

For image compression you required to do DCT transform and other steps.
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

cool I will check it

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

I am currently using the nexus video board and want to minimize my picture and send it to another uB processor operating in my multicore system.

Do you know any relevant method that can be used?

0 Kudos
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

Jump to solution

@azurath I just need to know a bit more about it - is it a picture (like a photo) or a logo with lots of plain colors?

I say that because in the later you could use a simple RLE compression scheme that works really well for certain types of plain pictures

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run-length_encoding

Otherwise I found a JPEG compression algorithm at opencores

https://opencores.org/project,jpeg

That said, you only need the **decompressor** part in HDL as you can compress it with normal tools on your PC. 

But it all depends on the nature of your image, it might be easier than you think. If you can post the image here or send to me in private, I can assess and give you more feedback.

0 Kudos