UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer hawthorn_3
Observer

Image processing on ZCU102

Hello,

I am quite new to MPSoC programming and Video/Image processing and have a pretty noob question.
Currently I'm working on an US+ project, in which a camera and a monitor are connected to the board. My design includes HDMI (Tx and Rx) subsystems and I was able to get a pass through application working. The next thing I want to try is applying some simple filter and display the output on the monitor. Xilinx offers two IP cores, which look suitable for my needs - a Framebuffer (Wr/Rd) and a Video Processing Subsystem. As far as I could understand the second one can be used directly on a video stream. Is the usage of Framebuffers in that case necessary? I'm not really sure I understand their purpose - are they used to "simply" read and write data from and into the DDR. What I also do not really get is how the frames are actually stored in the memory (in what format and so on). Would it be a better approach to read a frame directly from the DDR, apply some filters, save it back and then output it on the screen?

I'd be grateful for all the tips and help I can get.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Voyager
Voyager

Re: Image processing on ZCU102

Check out the following series of posts for using Video on Xilinx devices.

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Video/Xilinx-Video-Series/td-p/849583

Ted Booth - Tech. Lead FPGA Design Engineer
www.designlinxhs.com

Hi @hawthorn_3 ,

Yes my video series are a great place to start ;)

You might be able to work without the video frame buffer. However please not the following:

• You need to make sure the VPSS is able to provide enough data. The video frame buffer will allow some buffering and frames to be repeated in case there not enough data in
  • If you are using linux, this is a bit tricky. The HDMI RX IP and VPSS are part of the V4L2 driver. And the HDMI TX SS is part of the DRM KMS. Usually the frame buffer is used to build a separation between the 2. I am not sure if it will work if you do not have the frame buffer. Also, I am quite sure that because of this, petalinux will not generate the device tree completely (or will fail generating the device tree)

@tedbooth 

Thank you for referring my video series. The more I see other members referring to it, the more I feel it is usefull ;)

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Observer hawthorn_3
Observer

Thank you so much for you answers! I'm taking a few days off, since I'm pretty sick, but will look at the series as soon as my brain starts functioning properly again and will get back to you if I have any further questions. 

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I'm working on a baremetal application, so no Linux.

Regards, 

Rosi

0 Kudos

Hi @hawthorn_3 ,

Hope you are feeling better.

Do you have any progress to share on this topic? Were you able to make any progress?

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos