UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Is there a Video distribution hardware & software over Ethernet solution from Xilinx?

Jump to solution

Dear Video Team,

I need to distribute a video signal to multiple destinations over Ethernet. This is called Multicasting. Is there a complete hardware & software solution or reference design from Xilinx for this work ? Maybe an Ethernet switch IP specialized for Video networking task?

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar watari
Scholar

Re: Is there a Video distribution hardware & software over Ethernet solution from Xilinx?

Jump to solution

Hi @doner_t 

I suggest you to performance of ethernet IP (*1), If you'd like to multicast with raw data.

*1)

ex. following IP

https://dgway.com/UDP10G-IP_A_E.html

BTW, I mention to you about your question.

> MP in MPSoC is Multiple Processing?

Yes.

> It supports both H.264 & H.265 encoder and decoder, right?

Yes.

> I have looked at MPSoC. I think that all these Quad-Core ARM Cortex A53, Dual-Core ARM Cortex R5, Mali-400MP2, and H.264/H.265 need an well-suited operating system to run effectively, right?. Which OS should I use in MPSoC?

Yes.

I suggest you to use Linux OS. Using petalinux is helpful for you to build linux image with rootfs.

> And most important one, is there any reference design about the Multicasting video over Ethernet, using MPSoC? I think that this MPSoC targeted to video&image processing and multimedia market, right? Even maybe edge point hardware for cloud computing work?

Yes.

But I'm not sure whether there is suitable example design (TRD) or not.

"Following URL" might be helpful for you.

https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/25329832/Zynq+UltraScale+MPSoC+VCU+TRD+2018.3

> I like especially DisplayPort output. Can I directly drive a monitor by MPSoC without any PHY IC?

Yes. But there is some limitation.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Re: Is there a Video distribution hardware & software over Ethernet solution from Xilinx?

Jump to solution
in the current pack, there are cores for this,
but not going forward,
Xilinx out sourced this IP to a 3rd party company who dd a fantastic job of cores and support, but who were then a year later ewre purchased by a Xilinx competitor,

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Thank you sir.  I need to install an infrastructure for Video distribution work. There are three components which are source, destination and switch. At least, I am looking for a level hardware & software complete solution for source & destination sides. Possible to share here which IP cores and 3rd party company name?

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution
this is a xilinx forum, you will find alternatives with a google
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

I google'd it. Xilinx has an example design about the Multicasting in freeRTOS and LwIP. But I will search, if there is dedicated multicast IP core on 3rd party. In fact, is there a complex work in multicasting schema to send it to the dedicated IP core, If multicasting can be handled in software freeRTOS and LwIP?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi @doner_t 

I suggest you to consider ZYNQ MPSoC EV seriease which has hardware encoder, ex. H.264 and H.265.

So, you can use it if you prepare ethernet IP or external device and ex. Linux OS.

Would you consider it ?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Dear @watari ,

So, you can use it if you prepare ethernet IP or external device and ex. Linux OS.

What did you mean here, I dont get it. Sorry.

I think that Zynq MPSoC contains hard-coded H.264 & H.265 engines. This is so useful. But it is not necessary to multicast my video as "encoded". I prefer now multicast my video as RAW data. If bandwidth begins to be problematic, H.264 or H.265 encoding could be vital for bandwidth efficiency. But this will require that you must put another MPSoC in destination side to decode H.264 video. Could you answer below a few questions about the Zynq MPSoC?

• MP in MPSoC is Multiple Processing?
  • It supports both H.264 & H.265 encoder and decoder, right?
  • I have looked at MPSoC. I think that all these Quad-Core ARM Cortex A53, Dual-Core ARM Cortex R5, Mali-400MP2, and H.264/H.265 need an well-suited operating system to run effectively, right?. Which OS should I use in MPSoC?
  • And most important one, is there any reference design about the Multicasting video over Ethernet, using MPSoC? I think that this MPSoC targeted to video&image processing and multimedia market, right? Even maybe edge point hardware for cloud computing work?
  • I like especially DisplayPort output. Can I directly drive a monitor by MPSoC without any PHY IC? 

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi @doner_t 

I suggest you to performance of ethernet IP (*1), If you'd like to multicast with raw data.

*1)

ex. following IP

https://dgway.com/UDP10G-IP_A_E.html

BTW, I mention to you about your question.

> MP in MPSoC is Multiple Processing?

Yes.

> It supports both H.264 & H.265 encoder and decoder, right?

Yes.

> I have looked at MPSoC. I think that all these Quad-Core ARM Cortex A53, Dual-Core ARM Cortex R5, Mali-400MP2, and H.264/H.265 need an well-suited operating system to run effectively, right?. Which OS should I use in MPSoC?

Yes.

I suggest you to use Linux OS. Using petalinux is helpful for you to build linux image with rootfs.

> And most important one, is there any reference design about the Multicasting video over Ethernet, using MPSoC? I think that this MPSoC targeted to video&image processing and multimedia market, right? Even maybe edge point hardware for cloud computing work?

Yes.

But I'm not sure whether there is suitable example design (TRD) or not.

"Following URL" might be helpful for you.

https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/25329832/Zynq+UltraScale+MPSoC+VCU+TRD+2018.3

> I like especially DisplayPort output. Can I directly drive a monitor by MPSoC without any PHY IC?

Yes. But there is some limitation.

Best regards,

0 Kudos