UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

MIPI Bitslice Control Delay

Jump to solution

Hello,

I was wondering if we could have more information about how delay tuning is done on the MIPI block with Ultrascale+ devices when using the MIPI RX subsystem.

1. Is this done automatically by the block?
  2. Do we have to add any additional constraints with known delays from our PCB boards?
  3. How much delay can be compensated?
  4. Can both positive and negative delays relative to the clock be compensated?

Thanks!

Mark

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: MIPI Bitslice Control Delay

Jump to solution

Hello Mark

>Theoretically, there should be a way to specify the boot up settings for the BITSLICE CONTROL on a per interface setting correct?

User will not be able to set custom delay using taps in the bitslice control.
MIPI D-PHY IP will "train" each line automatically every LP --> HS transition, so each data lane will be sampled correctly.

Thanks & regards
Leo

8 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello Mark @markramona 

>Is this done automatically by the block?

Yes.

>Do we have to add any additional constraints with known delays from our PCB boards?

No, not necessary.

>How much delay can be compensated?

If the delay is within range mentioned by the spec, it can be compensated and already tested.

Note :
Delay between clock and any data lane should be less than UI/50 for all line-rates.

XF_MIPI_DATA_CLOCK_DELAY.jpg

Please also ensure that RX Setup/Hold requirement is not violated.

XF_MIPI_DPHY_RX_SETUP_HOLD.jpg

>Can both positive and negative delays relative to the clock be compensated?

Yes, both can be compensated.

Thanks & regards
Leo

Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi @karnanl

That is super helpful!

Thanks!

What is the document that you referred to? I would like to take some to read it in depth.

We might have up to UI/30 of static delay in our system. Do you have a reference on how we can designs constraints that take this amount of delay into account?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello Mark @markramona 

> What is the document that you referred to? I would like to take some to read it in depth.

This is taken from mipi_D-PHY_specification_v1-1.pdf
-- You can download this document from (https://members.mipi.org/wg/All-Members/document/folder/8354)
   You can download for free, if you company is mipi.org member.

>We might have up to UI/30 of static delay in our system.
>Do you have a reference on how we can designs constraints that take this amount of delay into account?

Hmm, pardon me but I do not have the answer.

1. I would suggest you to fix your board to follow MIPI spec.
2. I do see that some customer boards working without any issue with static delay larger than UI/50. (~20ps delay for 1500Mbps line-rate), but we cannot guarantee that the same number will achievable on your board.

Thanks & regards
Leo

Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution
Hi Leo,

Thank you for the fast response.
That all makes sense. We will keep it in mind for future iterations of our design.

Theoretically, there should be a way to specify the boot up settings for the BITSLICE CONTROL on a per interface setting correct?
0 Kudos

Jump to solution
Hi @markramona,

If your question is answered or your issue is solved, please kindly mark the response which helped as solution (click on "Accept as solution" button below the reply)

If this is not solved/answered, please reply in the topic giving more information on your current status.

Thanks and Regards,
Aoife
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

It is hard to say if the question has been "answered" or not.

I would say the question has been half answered.

Yes we were able to define some bounds under which the MIPI signal would be correctly captured by the FPGA using the IP, but I'm still unclear about how to customize the the delay using the taps in the bitslice control is still unclear.

Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello Mark

>Theoretically, there should be a way to specify the boot up settings for the BITSLICE CONTROL on a per interface setting correct?

User will not be able to set custom delay using taps in the bitslice control.
MIPI D-PHY IP will "train" each line automatically every LP --> HS transition, so each data lane will be sampled correctly.

Thanks & regards
Leo

Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Awesome, thanks, for the quick response.

Taking this into account it seems that while the MIPI spec requires lines to be matched to UI/50, there should be some slack due to the training that is possible on every LP -> HS transitions.