UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer kami
Observer

MIPI CSI-2 TX Clocking

Jump to solution

Hi,

I want to use CSI-2 TX Subsystem IP in my design. I have read PG260 document. My video input is in 720p/50 YUV422 8bit format and I need to transmit it via 4 lanes (Pixel Mode is 1). When I simulate CSI-2 TX Subsystem it gives underrun in Protocol Configuration Register. I guess my s_axis_aclk is wrong.

By my calculation,

1280 x 720 x 50Hz x 16bit = 737.28 Mbit/s

TxByteClk = 737.28 Mbit/s / 8bit = 92.16 MHz

From PG260 : s_axis_aclk x Pixel_width x Pixel_Mode > TxByteClk x No_Lanes x 8     

s_axis_aclk x 16bit x 1 > 92.16 x 4 x 8

s_axis_aclk = 92.16 x 2 x 1.3 ~= 240 MHz

Is this correct? If not, please correct me for selecting the right value of s_axis_aclk.

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: MIPI CSI-2 TX Clocking

Jump to solution

Hello Kami @kami
Thanks for the update.

>When I simulate CSI-2 TX Subsystem it gives underrun in Protocol Configuration Register. I guess my s_axis_aclk is wrong
>By the way AXI Stream input (m_axis_video_tdata) frequency to CSI-2 TX IP is 74.25MHz.

This is the root-cause of your pixel underrun issue.

Once MIPI CSI-2 TX start sending pixel line data, they have to send all 720pixel data in one line continuously without a gap.
If user cannot supply pixel data by the time CSI-2 TX IP needs to process the data, pixel under-run will be asserted. There is no such as idle-code/idle-data in MIPI CSI-2 specification. This is the reason we provide a guidance for a minimum s_axis_aclk frequency.

If your pixel data source is generated using 74.25MHz, You might need to create a line-buffer to provide input data into MIPI CSI-2 TX IP. Start read the data out from the buffer after you have one line of pixel data.

XF_20181127_PROPOSAL_FOR_KAMI.png

Thanks & regards
Leo

4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello Kami

TxByteClk = Line Rate / 8.
Since you did not mention your IP line-rate, Could you please re-do the s_axis_aclk calculation ?

Thanks & regards
Leo

0 Kudos
Observer kami
Observer

Jump to solution

Hello @karnanl,

Thanks for your response.

Actually I didn't notice IP's line rate. My target device can receive up to 1.5Gbps per data lane and I guess 720 Mbps line rate is good.

By the way AXI Stream input (m_axis_video_tdata) frequency to CSI-2 TX IP is 74.25MHz. Is there a relation between output line rate and input frequency?

With same calculation,

TxByteClk = 720 / 8 = 90 MHz

s_axis_aclk x Pixel_width x Pixel_Mode > TxByteClk x No_Lanes x 8     

s_axis_aclk x 16bit x 1 > 90 x 4 x 8

s_axis_aclk = 90 x 2 x 1.3 = 234 MHz

I tried with this frequency and line rate but CSI-2 TX IP didn't transmit any data.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello Kami @kami
Thanks for the update.

>When I simulate CSI-2 TX Subsystem it gives underrun in Protocol Configuration Register. I guess my s_axis_aclk is wrong
>By the way AXI Stream input (m_axis_video_tdata) frequency to CSI-2 TX IP is 74.25MHz.

This is the root-cause of your pixel underrun issue.

Once MIPI CSI-2 TX start sending pixel line data, they have to send all 720pixel data in one line continuously without a gap.
If user cannot supply pixel data by the time CSI-2 TX IP needs to process the data, pixel under-run will be asserted. There is no such as idle-code/idle-data in MIPI CSI-2 specification. This is the reason we provide a guidance for a minimum s_axis_aclk frequency.

If your pixel data source is generated using 74.25MHz, You might need to create a line-buffer to provide input data into MIPI CSI-2 TX IP. Start read the data out from the buffer after you have one line of pixel data.

XF_20181127_PROPOSAL_FOR_KAMI.png

Thanks & regards
Leo

Observer kami
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi @karnanl,

Thank you for your quick and detailed answer.

I will try the line buffer solution. Before trying it, I wonder if I adjust the IP line rate with keeping AXI-Stream clock same as 74.25MHz. I guess it will also work.

0 Kudos