UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MIPI interface Technology Development issues (green display on portrait)

Jump to solution

The ZCU102 REVISION 1.1 hardware platform is currently used to carry out MIPI related experiments. The experiment is based on Xilinx Official document PG232 to achieve the image collection and display (the document does not indicate what the experimental phenomenon is), but the color of the display has a very large green saturation. It is not clear whether the problem is whether from the example project code or from the camera settings. I would like to get a normal color image. What changes would I need to perform to get the image to a normal color?

Below are the hardware and software used for this lab project:

(1) ZCU102 REVISION 1.1;

(2) Camera module: LI-IMX274MIPI-FMC V1.1;

(3) Display: 4k2k@30p Display/1920x1080@60p monitor (all tested, abnormal color);

(4) Development software: Vivado2017.4, Xilinx SDK2017.4;

Untitled.pngCatch(07-20-09-53-39).jpg1.jpg

Thank you for taking your time to read this post. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: MIPI interface Technology Development issues (green display on portrait)

Jump to solution

Hello @justindragoin

As mentioned by @samk that the Demosaic and Gamma LUT are there to provide only basic functionality to show what you can do with data coming from the senso
Xilinx Sensor Demosaic : This module reconstruct a full color image from the color samples output from the sensor.
Gamma LUT : Doing gamma correction only.

The greenish pixels information is coming from the sensor itself. Those 2 IPs do not cause the greenish color. We do understand that color-correction is necessary, but we do not have that feature in Demosaic or Gamma LUT IP.

@samkalso mentioned some partners that has some solution on color-correction.

BTW, you may also want to check these interesting links, that explained the concept of white-balancing.
https://www.mathworks.com/help/images/examples/comparison-of-auto-white-balance-algorithms.html
https://www.techradar.com/how-to/photography-video-capture/cameras/white-balance-explained-how-cameras-correct-the-color-of-different-types-of-light-1320993

Best regards
Leo

9 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello @justindragoin

MIPI Example design does not have color-correction features ( for example : white balance adjustment ).

It may occurred depends on your HW environment.

If you want to have high-quality picture, you need to implement color-correction features on your FPGA design.

Best regards

Leo

Jump to solution

Thank you @karnanlfor taking the time to reply to my question. I would still like to know if the problem is related to the configuration of the camera. In order to complete the color correction, I think a related IP would be needed. Do you know if Xilinx can provide me with an IP that could help with my issue? If possible could you give me further guidance on how to complete the color correction from the image processing? I am still a novice at FPGA-ARM. Help is greatly appreciated, thank you very much.

Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello @justindragoin

1. Some MPSoC US+ customers using ARM to do White-balance adjustment using OpenVC library.
    Pardon me, I do not know the detailed.

2. Xilinx has an old IP for video color correction.

# But I don't think this IP is recommended for a new design.

https://www.xilinx.com/products/intellectual-property/ef-di-ccm.html#overview
   https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/v_ccm/v6_0/pg001_v_ccm.pdf

Hello @samk  , Hello @florentw
Could you please give a suggestion to @justindragoin, regarding Xilinx IP (if any) to do White-balance adjustment ?

Thanks & regards
Leo

Note : we also see some similar picture depends on the environment.

XF_GREEN_EXAMPLE.jpg

Jump to solution

Thank you @karnanl. I will look at these links you attached to see if it will help with the white balance. Again really appreciate the help!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@karnanl no problem!

@justindragoin,

The Demosaic and Gamma LUT are there to provide basic functionality to show what you can do with data coming from the sensor.  They do not offer Auto White Balance (AWB) or noise reduction.  In most cases customers either replace these with their own logic or with some from one of our partners like Regulus or Xylon.  Regulus offers a readymade design with the IMX274.

Regards,

Sam

Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

Xilinx Video Design Hub

Jump to solution

Thanks @samk and @karnanl for the further insight. I now know that there is no AWB or noise reduction. However, do any of you know if there is an IP located within Demosaic or Gamma Lut where I could adjust the color balancing? In the diagram below there is possibly  helpful information that can help locate the IPs in Demosiac and Gamma Lut. If there is could you please tell me the IP location? Again, much thanks!

mipi.png

Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello @justindragoin

1. You can check product guide for Sensor Demosaic IP here:
   https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/v_demosaic/v1_0/pg286-v-demosaic.pdf
2. You can check product guide for Gamma LUT IP here:
   https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/v_gamma_lut/v1_0/pg285-v-gamma-lut.pdf
3. Please see the screen capture from IP GUI below.
   As you can see that there are no configurable option to change the color balance.
   I do not think you can change the RTL code of those IP manually.

Thanks & regards
Leo

XF_SENSOR_DEMOSAIZ.png
XF_GAMMA_LUT.png

Jump to solution

Hi @karnanl after looking at the documentation it is still a little unclear for me to identify if there is a location for the where color balancing can be adjusted. From the image I posted earlier, do you think that the color balancing might be in an IP located within Gamma LUT or Sensor Demosaic, such as s_axi_CTRL? If you have an idea could you tell me?

From your screen captures it seems like Gamma LUT and Sensor Demosaic were looked as a whole; so I was thinking that maybe color balancing might be located within an IP in either Gamma LUT or Sensor Demosaic. Also do you happen to know that by looking at the parameters of Gamma LUT and Sensor Demosaic as a whole, without digging deeper into their respective IPs, means that the IPs within each of them do not contain color balancing?

Thank you again for following up with your responses.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello @justindragoin

As mentioned by @samk that the Demosaic and Gamma LUT are there to provide only basic functionality to show what you can do with data coming from the senso
Xilinx Sensor Demosaic : This module reconstruct a full color image from the color samples output from the sensor.
Gamma LUT : Doing gamma correction only.

The greenish pixels information is coming from the sensor itself. Those 2 IPs do not cause the greenish color. We do understand that color-correction is necessary, but we do not have that feature in Demosaic or Gamma LUT IP.

@samkalso mentioned some partners that has some solution on color-correction.

BTW, you may also want to check these interesting links, that explained the concept of white-balancing.
https://www.mathworks.com/help/images/examples/comparison-of-auto-white-balance-algorithms.html
https://www.techradar.com/how-to/photography-video-capture/cameras/white-balance-explained-how-cameras-correct-the-color-of-different-types-of-light-1320993

Best regards
Leo