UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer imdads
Observer

No 12G SDI output, though 1080p works fine

Hello,

I have a Vivado 2018.3 project that contains the SDI Tx Subsystem, controlled by PetaLinux 2018.3 on the KCU116 board.

I can happily see 1080p@60Hz (3GA) video on my scope (Tektronix Prism), along with some 6G modes. However, as soon as I switch to a 12G mode (e.g. 4k@48Hz), which I do using the Xilinx SDI driver, the scope stops being able to understand the stream.

Is there something else that needs to be done to ensure that 12G modes work correctly?

Kind regards,
Imdad

5 Replies

Re: No 12G SDI output, though 1080p works fine

Hi @imdads 

Is your design meeting timing in vivado? If not this is probably the root cause.

Then I am not sure if 4k@48Hz is supported by the core. Is this resolution defined in SMPTE ST 2082-1?

You might want to try with the resolutions tested in xapp1248 first:

sdi.JPG

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
Observer imdads
Observer

Dear @florentw ,

Thanks a lot for your reply. The design is failing timing slightly, but in a completely different section to the SDI TX, and only because of some ILAs that I've added. As far as I can tell, the SDI part of the design is still meeting timing (and without the ILAs the whole design meets timing).

I've tried all of the 12G modes in https://github.com/Xilinx/linux-xlnx/blob/xilinx-v2018.3/drivers/gpu/drm/xilinx/xilinx_drm_sdi.c (xlnx_sdi_modes[]), and none give an output on the scope. The 6G modes do give a somewhat garbled output. 3GB modes don't give any output on the scope (though this could be because of the lack of VPIDs, which I mentioned in my other question), but 3GA downwards works fine.

If you have any other suggestions, I'd be very grateful!

Kind regards,
Imdad

0 Kudos

HI @imdads 

As mentioned in the other topic, I suggest you start back with the released driver and you check if it works with modetest.

Also, you might want to test with the baremetal example, as it is easier to control than the linux one (this way to can verify that you design + boards works)

Regards

Florent
0 Kudos
Observer imdads
Observer

Hi @florentw ,

Thanks a lot for getting back to me. I'll see what I can do with the baremetal example!

Kind regards,
Imdad

0 Kudos

Hi @imdads 

If your question is answered or your issue is solved, please kindly mark the response which helped as a solution (click on "Accept as solution" button below the reply).

If this is not solved/answered, please reply in the topic giving more information on your current status.

Thanks and Regards,

Aoife
0 Kudos