UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor hermes.tsai
Visitor

Propagated TDATA WIDTH on S_AXIS_S2MM is not 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512 or 1024

Jump to solution

Hi,

I tried to implement "Video Test Pattern Generator" and connect it to axi_dma, as the picture below.

TDATA_WIDTH_ERROR.png

The target video format is YUV422, 8-bit and 2 pixels/per clock, so the total data width/per clock should be 32-bit/per clock.

However, TPG's TDATA width is fixed by 48-bit (because TPG fixes 3 sub-pixel/per pixel).

If it connects to axi_dma(tdata: 32-bit), there will be a error message as below.

ERROR: [xilinx.com:ip:axi_dma:7.1-8] /axi_dma_0
                   #################################################################################
                   Propagated TDATA WIDTH on S_AXIS_S2MM is not 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512 or 1024
                   #################################################################################

How to solve it?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Propagated TDATA WIDTH on S_AXIS_S2MM is not 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512 or 1024

Jump to solution

Hi @hermes.tsai 

Firstly if you are doing Video, you might want ot have a look at my Video Series.

However, if you are transporting Video why are you using the AXI DMA and not the AXI VDMA (V stands for Video). This IP has the DMA under the hood but is designed for video application.

My Video Series 24: Using the AXI VDMA in Triple Buffer Mode is showing the VDMA connected with the TPG. Basically what you are trying to do

Regards

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
3 Replies

Re: Propagated TDATA WIDTH on S_AXIS_S2MM is not 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512 or 1024

Jump to solution

Hi @hermes.tsai 

Firstly if you are doing Video, you might want ot have a look at my Video Series.

However, if you are transporting Video why are you using the AXI DMA and not the AXI VDMA (V stands for Video). This IP has the DMA under the hood but is designed for video application.

My Video Series 24: Using the AXI VDMA in Triple Buffer Mode is showing the VDMA connected with the TPG. Basically what you are trying to do

Regards

Florent
Visitor hermes.tsai
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi @florentw 

Your video series is very impressive and useful! I will refer to them more in the future.

About your question, why use AXI-DMA, not V-DMA?  (I am using AXI-DMA, because it has scatter-gather function and I had done a similar project with scatter-gather PCIe DMA.)

It has been confused me for a while before you asked this question. I am curious to know which one has the best throughput for each scenarios below?

Scenario-1: Transport non-compressed video data (ex. YUV422) to memory

Scenario-2: Transport compressed video data (ex. H.264) to memory

Could you share your experience?

Thanks!

Hermes

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @hermes.tsai 

I do not thimk there are big differences between the AXI DMA and the AXI VDMA in terms of performances.

The limitation will usually comes from the BW of the memory.

Regards,

Florent
0 Kudos