UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor tomaho
Visitor

Standard rules for video processing FPGA architecture ?!?!

Hello,

i´m trying to find an FPGA architecture for video processing.

Though my experience is still quite little i´d be glad of some advice.

One of the architecture requirements is flexibilty: When putting it into practice i need my architecture to get expanded very easily e.g. by further IP Cores.

As a consequence i think i should use a bus system in any case and probably an intelligence like MicroBlaze, too or are there better options?

Originally my plan was to input two video streams (1024x768 pixels each, at 60Hz) process them with Xilinx OSD and filter again the result of that.

So to filter a stream of that size i always need to buffer some lines at first, but isn´t the resolution much to high to do that?

Buffering three lines in RGB are 3 x 1024 x 768 x 24 bit > 73kBit which is more than even a Virtex-6 offers BRAM (max 39kBit ).

Is it common using BRAMS for that purpose or shall better external memory take this task over?

But when using external memory the bus system is again required and especially the MPMC which brings my original video data in.

Generally I just don´t know yet how to put different graphics processing IP Cores together with all the memory ´stuff´ like DDR, BRAM/FIFO and MPMC, VDMA and bus system in architecture.

Regards,

tomaho

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Visitor newenging
Visitor

Re: Standard rules for video processing FPGA architecture ?!?!

Have you considered using Xilinx Spartan Industrial Video Processing kit's technical docs as reference?

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Re: Standard rules for video processing FPGA architecture ?!?!

@newenging

Have you considered using Xilinx Spartan Industrial Video Processing kit's technical docs as reference?

Have you considered you woke up a thread which was almost a year old?  :)

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos