cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Take HDMI video input from one display and put HDMI output on another display.

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

I am completely new to VHDL, FPGA. I am not using any hardware for now. But, I just want to do simulation on Vivado. I am really confused, I dont know where to start. Later, I want to implement the same on FPGA board as well. I have some question in mind.

I donot how to take video as a input in Vivado. Is it even possible?

If yes, then

Q1. can I use HDMI Rx IP or do i need to use some other IP?

Q2. Do i need to store video in the project directory or I can provide link to the video somewhere?

If not,

Is there any way to do it?

With Regards,

Saini

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Take HDMI video input from one display and put HDMI output on another display.

Jump to solution

@saini,

So, my question is How I should give a HDMI Video input/ Video input to my design in Vivado not in Hardware to test my implementation.

You cannot, via hardware.

You need to find for some HDMI video signal generator which will generate the video data for you.

I  can recommend you to start with the video series tutorial. Perhaps there are free-to-use Xilinx HDMI based vdo gen IPs.

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Video/Xilinx-Video-Series/td-p/849583

I have done such a project called HDMI Pass Through using a Zybo Z7-10 Dev Board and I did not have a design simu model.
It was easier to just connect the Digilent IPs and get the h/w fast up and running.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Take HDMI video input from one display and put HDMI output on another display.

Jump to solution

Hi @saini 

>Q1. can I use HDMI Rx IP or do i need to use some other IP?

Yes.

>Q2. Do i need to store video in the project directory or I can provide link to the video somewhere?

What do you mean ?

Do you want to recode video streaming as file from ex. HDMI Rx ?

Best regards,

Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi @watari,

>Q2. Do i need to store video in the project directory or I can provide link to the video somewhere?

>What do you mean ?

>Do you want to recode video streaming as file from ex. HDMI Rx ?

As I said earlier, that I dont have hardware for now. But I want to test it on Vivado. So, my question is How I should give a HDMI Video input/ Video input to my design in Vivado not in Hardware to test my implementation.

With Regards,

saini

Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Jump to solution

@saini,

So, my question is How I should give a HDMI Video input/ Video input to my design in Vivado not in Hardware to test my implementation.

You cannot, via hardware.

You need to find for some HDMI video signal generator which will generate the video data for you.

I  can recommend you to start with the video series tutorial. Perhaps there are free-to-use Xilinx HDMI based vdo gen IPs.

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Video/Xilinx-Video-Series/td-p/849583

I have done such a project called HDMI Pass Through using a Zybo Z7-10 Dev Board and I did not have a design simu model.
It was easier to just connect the Digilent IPs and get the h/w fast up and running.

FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello @saini 

Just adding my two cents.
I agree with @dpaul24 sggestion.

BTW, We do not provide testbench or simulation model for our HMDI IPs.
So Simulating this IP can be time consuming.

Kind regards, 
Leo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi @dpaul24,

Thank you.

I will start doing those tutorial. 

and thank you @karnanl for your key points.

With Regrads,

Saini

0 Kudos