UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Test Pattern Generator : Solid colors patterns not working

Jump to solution

Vivado : 2016.2

Board  : Zedboard rev D

Monitor : HP EliteDisplay E231

I am working on a simple project involving Test Pattern Generator and VGA output (1080p60fps). I was able to get something displayed on the screen! But it seems the solid color test patterns (solid red, solid blue, solid green, solid black and solid white) are not working (black screen is displayed for all solid color patterns, monitor is not going to sleep)!

I tried to find similar problems in the forums but couldn't find any! That's why I posted this!

Color bars pattern seems to work fine!

Some patterns such as black and white checker-board pattern are not very colorful!

What might be the reason for this strange behavior? Can someone help me with this problem?

Attached pdf contains my design. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Test Pattern Generator : Solid colors patterns not working

Jump to solution

Hi @ghnipunasaranga,

Could you also make sure the data signals are set to 0 during the blanking period?

If not, add some logic to do so using the data enable output from the AXI4S to video out IP.

Best Regards,

Florent

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
9 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
check your monitor setting . you may probe and check pixel digital value . This seems to me display issue
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@balkris Thanks for the fast reply! In case of probing digital values of pixels, I connected the red data output (8 bit) of AXI4-Stream to Video Out ipcore (vid_data[23:0] ; bits from 23 down to 16) to zedboard LEDs. When solid red color pattern is selected all the LEDs are on. When solid green or blue patterns are selected the LEDs are off. So I think correct pixel digital values are outputted! I checked the same design in another monitor (however the second monitor is also of same brand HP EliteDisplay E231).

What should I do next?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

again your observation proved TPG IP working correctly . Issue with monitor only . You may try some monitor settings. 

LED test may not good enough because LED time is low as compared to clock . You may insert chipscope and probe the signals 

Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@balkris Thanks again for the reply! I checked the design with another monitor model (Lenovo). Earlier some test patterns were not colorful (checker board, tartan bars). 

Now some test patterns have become colorful!!!

But still solid color patterns are not working! They display black screen (without monitor going to sleep).

Should I check the design with another monitor model or is there an easy way around this problem without changing monitors?

11111.jpg
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @ghnipunasaranga,

Firstly, this post is a video related post so it should be in the DSP and Video board. I have moved it for you this thime but please try to post in the correct board. It will help you to get the right experts (Xilinx or not) to answer you.

Then about the TPG, I don't think this is a monitor issue. I don't see any reason why it would be the case as it is working fine with the color bars. If you want to check, just start the application with the blue background

1. I would first encourage you to move to the latest version of vivado (2017.4)
  2. Then if not already doing it, use the driver to change the pattern: XV_tpg_Set_bckgndId
  3. I would check the status of the AXI4S to video out (locked/ overflow/ underflow)
  4. I would finally try to reset the AXI4S to video out after changing the background.

Hope that helps,

Best Regards,

Florent

Florent
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

hi @florentw thanks for the reply! Sorry for the inconvenience caused by not putting up the post in the correct board. I am new to this forum and I will try not to do that again!

I tried your solutions except for using the latest version of the vivado.

I started with solid blue pattern and checked 'locked', 'overflow' and 'underflow' signals of AXI4-Stream to Video Out IPcore using ILA.

[locked = 1, overflow = 0, underflow = 0 were the results, I think that is fine]

I attached a dip switch to the 'vid_io_out_reset' signal and reset the IPcore manually after the SDK program is run.

Still I could not get to display the solid color patterns!

I must again say that I saw a difference in several patterns after changing the monitor model as suggested by @balkris.

What should I try next? 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @ghnipunasaranga,

Are you configuring the solid pattern as default (before starting the TPG). If not could you try?

Florent
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @ghnipunasaranga,

Could you also make sure the data signals are set to 0 during the blanking period?

If not, add some logic to do so using the data enable output from the AXI4S to video out IP.

Best Regards,

Florent

Florent

Jump to solution

HI @florentw thank you very much! :D

As you suggested after setting 0 during the blanking period, the solid color patters worked! All other patterns also worked! Thanks again! I will mark that as an accepted solution!

0 Kudos